New Homemade Lathe Knife "Skew Killer" !!!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Back in November I saw a YT video of a guy in the UK demonstrating a Lathe tool he made that he called a Lathe Knife. He got this name from some translated Russian that he found showing this tool in use. Anyway, he said he'd been using this tool and really found it much easier to use than the Skew. He called it the "Skew Killer"! So he made a bunch and posted them on his Etsy page. There were a number of turners that saw his video and ordered this tool from him, me included. Well, here it is, nearly the end of May and still no Lathe Knife. I've been round and round with communications and excuses why he hasn't shipped my tool yet. I keep hearing, "your's will be in the post next week". Yet still no tool! So today I dug through my bucket or worn out mill files and selected a good specimen. I didn't bother to soften the file, I just went at it with the grinder and a cut-off wheel. Here's the end result prior to sharpening to 1200 grit on a CBN wheel on my Work Sharp then a leather strop. I gave it a quick spin on the lathe and it works great! Oh yeah, I've requested a refund from the loser that doesn't deliver!

2020-05-25 10.50.08.jpg

2020-05-25 10.50.15.jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Interesting design. Hopefully you paid with Paypal or equivalent. They've been good at handling problems I've had when overseas items got "lost" in transit.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Unfortunately it's not that it got lost in transit, he's just not sent the thing! He's even admitted it about a month ago to several people that he owes tools to.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I meant that euphemistically. I purchased a catalog from an art exhibit in Austria as a gift for my sister a year or so ago. They claim it was sent but their tracking magically ended when it arrived in the USA. That was as good as delivered for their purposes and they wouldn't refund or reship. Paypal covered it. I did get a follow up from USPS to confirm that it never arrived. In another case the owner of a small business had died and the funds from his account were tied up and the new owners wouldn't ship the order. Seemed sketchy to me but Paypal stood by it. Wish you the best with your refund or eventual fulfillment

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I watched a couple of videos trying to understand what makes it special. Main differences to a regular skew seem to be the angle of the skew and the fact the blade is slightly curved. Is that right? Is there more to it? The one used in the video had a round shaft right up to the blade. Is that important?

I don't see anything about this design that would eliminate it catching in the wood. That is after all what gives the skew such a bad reputation. How does it work for turning beads?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I meant that euphemistically. I purchased a catalog from an art exhibit in Austria as a gift for my sister a year or so ago. They claim it was sent but their tracking magically ended when it arrived in the USA. That was as good as delivered for their purposes and they wouldn't refund or reship. Paypal covered it. I did get a follow up from USPS to confirm that it never arrived. In another case the owner of a small business had died and the funds from his account were tied up and the new owners wouldn't ship the order. Seemed sketchy to me but Paypal stood by it. Wish you the best with your refund or eventual fulfillment
I have a package that arrived at the USPS in Raleigh on Feb 28th. Tracking shows it was transfered to USPS, but to this day, it's not been heard from. Postmaster won't respond to my WRITTEN requests as to it's where abouts. Seller (in China) sent a replacement, as he can see it died at local USPS distribution center.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I watched a couple of videos trying to understand what makes it special. Main differences to a regular skew seem to be the angle of the skew and the fact the blade is slightly curved. Is that right? Is there more to it? The one used in the video had a round shaft right up to the blade. Is that important?

I don't see anything about this design that would eliminate it catching in the wood. That is after all what gives the skew such a bad reputation. How does it work for turning beads?
Jim, I just gave it a quick spin and for the couple minutes that I played with it I didn't have a single catch! That's a huge plus for me :) Normally with the Skew, I can do some spindle planing without a catch but when it comes to bead rolling, forget it! I'll get a catch every time, or the wood won't resemble a bead in the slightest. So I tried to actually get a catch and it wouldn't do it. I did a bit of toe plunging (sharp edge up) and that worked beautifully as well. I also did some heel plunging (sharp edge down) and that was simple as the toe plunge. Mine being made from a file is square at this point, and small. I'd like to make a larger one, possibly forged from a larger rod or brazed onto the end of a round shaft if that's possible. I'll probably do some more refining of the shaft on mine to make it easier to use. But at this point, the first results look really promising! Oh, your question....Bead Rolling: Yes! I did roll some beads and it works great! Very easy to control, but probably easier if the shaft was round.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting. Do you mind sharing the dimensions of yours and the angle of the blade? Unless you are planning to start selling them... in which case I may be placing an order ;-).

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jim, I don't plan to make them to sell. This piece of steel started as a worn out file. I eye-balled the angle, I'd guess around 30 deg. and then undercut to form the heel. Then just make two semi-parallel cuts down the length. I kept the tang in case I needed the extra length. When I ground the bevels I just eye-balled those too till they looked good to me! Whatever works! :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS