New Helical Cutterhead for DeWalt 735

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Well -I broke down and bought a new helical carbide head for the Dewalt 735.

I went with FindBuyTool head. Mostly, because it was in stock, it had more cutters and it was cheaper.
It cost 340 bucks, it has 4 rows of 14 per row (56 inserts in total).
Had concerns since it was shipping from China, but figured I'd roll the dice. Glad I did.

Ordered on 9/15 by 9/25 it was at my doorstep......... that was a pleasant surprise.

The directions kinda sucked but the machine is simple to take apart. The one thing no one mentioned is you must remove the blades and their keepers before trying to remove the existing cutter-head. It was easy to figure out but, would have been nice if it was mentioned.
Took about an hour to put all the inserts in the the head. One thing I did like was they align (self align) correctly. I have seen other machines where you have to hold yer lip just right to get the inserts aligning correctly.
The cut is super smooth. Will see in a month if that remains so. Regardless, the smoothness is good enough to go directly to 320 sand paper.
It runs quieter both just running and when cutting I measured 4-5 dB quieter while cutting.
There is no vibration, a good purchase. included some pixs. The wood is Ohia and White Oak. Ohia is about the same hardness as Rosewood

Attachments

• 735 (1).jpg
    735 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 227
  • 735 (2).jpg
    735 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • 735 (3).jpg
    735 (3).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
  • 735 (4).jpg
    735 (4).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • 735 (6).jpg
    735 (6).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 214
  • 735 (8).jpg
    735 (8).jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 735 (9).jpg
    735 (9).jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 215

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The thing I did not like about installing one is rolling the belt on and off. Inherent in the design and very stupid on DeWalt's behest. But, I have not heard of many belt failures. Vidios linked on installing the Schlix from MyWoodcutters.com cover install pretty well.

More cutters is better. That is a good find. Shelix is only 40

One can get a torque driver from Horrible Freight for very reasonably money, so no excuse to mess that up. Aligning the cutters was not an issue is you paid any attention. The LUX head in my jointer was also easy.

Reactions: Oka

smurg

New User
Marty
The annoying part of the swap for me was not catching the detail about the spacer behind the pulley. It stuck to the end of my straight knife cutter head and when I re-installed the pulley, it fit in too deep without the spacer in place. The belt ended up running at an angle and shredded itself inside of a week. Read a few online discussions, found the spacer still stuck to the old cutterhead, and after a replacement of the belt (and pulley that I had to mangle to get back off the 2nd time), I was sitting pretty.

kenhickswoodworker

New User
Ken
Well -I broke down and bought a new helical carbide head for the Dewalt 735.

I went with FindBuyTool head. Mostly, because it was in stock, it had more cutters and it was cheaper.
It cost 340 bucks, it has 4 rows of 14 per row (56 inserts in total).
Had concerns since it was shipping from China, but figured I'd roll the dice. Glad I did.

Ordered on 9/15 by 9/25 it was at my doorstep......... that was a pleasant surprise.

The directions kinda sucked but the machine is simple to take apart. The one thing no one mentioned is you must remove the blades and their keepers before trying to remove the existing cutter-head. It was easy to figure out but, would have been nice if it was mentioned.
Took about an hour to put all the inserts in the the head. One thing I did like was they align (self align) correctly. I have seen other machines where you have to hold yer lip just right to get the inserts aligning correctly.
The cut is super smooth. Will see in a month if that remains so. Regardless, the smoothness is good enough to go directly to 320 sand paper.
It runs quieter both just running and when cutting I measured 4-5 dB quieter while cutting.
There is no vibration, a good purchase. included some pixs. The wood is Ohia and White Oak. Ohia is about the same hardness as Rosewood
Those are great! A friend of mine died before he got around to installing his. I inherited it but I don’t need it. I’ll be posting it for sale next week at a very good price.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Those are great! A friend of mine died before he got around to installing his. I inherited it but I don’t need it. I’ll be posting it for sale next week at a very good price.

How about I save you the time of posting? Shoot me a PM with what you will be looking to get for it and we shall see if we can work something out for the helical head.

kenhickswoodworker

New User
Ken
Sure! The lowest price I found online is $590 (plus tax and shipping).
Would $440 work for you? Give me a call or text if you’d like:
Ken
252-412-2005

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS