New guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
Hey yall, just thought Id join and poke around a bit. My name is Andrew and I go to school at UNC Chapel Hill. Feel free to be yay or nay about that, I can take some ribbing. My parents live in Elizabeth City and Durham but I spend most of my time on Topsail Island. I Kinda bounce around between those four places. I am really into old wooden boats and antique hand tools. I have a 1968 Boston Whaler I just finished redoing the mahagony center console and pilot seat for, two antique wooden cased radios I am trying to restore, and a few other projects going on here and there. I will try to get some pictures up when my album is created or however that works. I really enjoy wood working and I joined here hoping to find a good source of wood, find a low angle block plane cause I am having a hard time with it, to see what cool things yall are doing and how your doing it, and get some advice on different finishes.

thanks
Andrew

Monty

New User
Monty
Ahhhh.... Topsail Island..... beautiful!

IMG_9727.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

:cool:

Welcome to the forums! Can't wait to see your pictures!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ahoy mate, and welcome aboard!

Hope you find what you're looking for here and we look forward to your pixs. Trust me, you won't be needing thick skin on NCWoodworker. :icon_thum
Folks are quite civil and incredibly helpful. At least, that's my experience.

Why Not?
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, it's good to have you here. Topsail is a great place I've been several times, my boss owns a house behind the police station near the water tower, sound side. I look forward to pics of your boat and other projects, along with your input around here. Dave:)

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
Dave O, i know where you are talking about. I used to volunteer at the turtle hospital there and Ive fried seafood and worked at the Breezeway Motel for the past 3 summers. I worked at the Beach House Marina too a lil. I put up a couple of pics of a few of my projects, a lot of my pictures arent terribly interesting.

Andrew

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Andrew, First let me welcome you to the site! I can't wait to see some pictures of that restoration. Being a graduate of NCState, I will have to give you a big fat NAY on the UNC thing, err, area, school, whatever you guys call that place over the hill now adays.

Seriously, welcome, you'll find some really friendly people here. Steve doesn't allow any other types in the front door...

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
thanks for the hello's
If you are interested in some of my boat pics I have some galleries on my website, neither one of them is done and they probably never will be. I am already planning on taking the Whaler back apart again.

1968 Boston Whaler:
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/Whaler-Project?page=1

And this is a little runabout I built with my dad when I was 13. I sold the motor to pay my car insurance when I was younger and I just got another motor last year and havent really done anything with it.
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/My-boat

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are some great pics, are the boats all wood. It is hard to tell with the blue paint all over the hull. Your console is looking great, what kind of wood is it? Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mavawreck07 said:
Dave O, i know where you are talking about. I used to volunteer at the turtle hospital there and Ive fried seafood and worked at the Breezeway Motel for the past 3 summers.
Andrew

Hmmm, Breezeway Motel restaurant--good food, nice view. :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Mavawreck07

New User
Andrew
Dave O,

The whaler is 'glass with a philipine(sp?) "mahogany" console and seats. It is a mixture of solid and ply. Not all of the wood is back in it yet in the photos. I stripped 30 years of varnish off and refastened the console, replaced loose bungs, and repaired some delamination of the plywood parts. I made some modifications here and there as well, adding brackets and reinforcing the windshield. I put about 12 coats of spar varnish on it, wet sanding between the last few coats. The way it was soaking it up, it could take a few more coats. Maybe next season. I had a real hard time with runs on the sides of the console where the trim grain was going horizontal and the ply sides were running verticle.

The little wooden boat is 1/4" fir ply on mahogany frames and it is all wood. The only fiberglass in it is a strip of cloth about 4" wide on the bottom seam. It doesnt see much use and its spent most of its life being taken apart and put back together again.

Andrew

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Welcome! Hey, I am in Wilmington. When you are down at Topsail, give me heads up and we can meet. My dog and I are always up for a trip up there. They are much more welcoming than the Q$@$%@%^@$^ at Wrightsville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS