New Guy - old skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

christo

New User
Chris
I'm up in Youngsville, NC and found this site while looking around at thickness sander reviews.

Most of my woodworking today is limited to home projects and British car restoration - you'd be surprised how much wood is in some of those old cars. Professional experience - long ago - cabinetmaker for store fronts for about 5yrs and 6 mos repairing carousel horses and figures.

I just bought a bunch of pre-finished plywood to build a floating closet system for my better half. She has a ton of shoes - so there will be several tempered glass shelves to allow as many shoes as possible. It will be assembled in place with no visible fasteners or putty (or so I claim).

I've just been asked to replace the dashboard veneer on an old British sports car that local folks are restoring for a Wheels for hope charity auction. Haven't done any larger scale veneer work in a long while (15yrs - I'm sure the old methods still work but I'm anxious to research and see what folks do today) but decided I'd take it on. The thickness sander will be used to remove and dress the old layer of veneer that is chipped and faded. I can't use a planer as it's made from plywood and needs a bit more gentle approach.

Favor to ask - If anyone knows of a shop that would run a dash panel (actually 2 of them) through their thickness sander - already stripped of any finish - I'd like a pm as well. I'm happy to pay a shop rate vs purchasing a sander at this time.

Thanks - already getting addicted to the posts.

Chris

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Welcome, Chris! As far as the thickness sander goes I would give Anchor Hardwoods in Raleigh a call (http://anchorhardwoods.com/). They do a lot of custom wood countertops, and I think I remember seeing one in their shop the last time I was there.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Chris. As an old Triumph TR-2 owner, I appreciate your love of restoration -- hope you haven't needed to tackle an old Morgan or an MG-TD!

christo

New User
Chris
Thanks everyone!!

Funny you should mention Triumph TR2 - that is my current project car! The wood and rust are at bay and It's running and stopping well. Transmission and Steering need a bit more work.... and then comes the part I never like whether its cars or woodwork - final sanding and applying the finish.

I'll start a thread on my closet project here soon and spread some of my own sawdust around. I hope the prefinished plywood is not a mistake.

Then comes something for me: a bar made from recycled stained glass windows with a recycled Granite top.

Chris

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard -

In another life (back in the '60s), I ran a MG-TF1500 and did a bit of restoration on it. Didn't have to replace or work on the wood frame though. About the same time, dated a girl that drove a TR3. In fact I just found my old set of whitworth wrenches and sockets about 4 years ago and sold them on one of the MG Classic owners forums. These were good wrenches not the chinese knockoffs you find on e-bay nowadays.

George

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the friendliest woodworking site on the internet. Good to have you join us. Feel free to jump in at any time.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Come on the the virtual shop, pull up a chair, and close that door! It's cold outside! :wwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors