new guy...not really, just S-L-O-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Hey all,
My name is Russ and I'm an - oh wait; wrong meeting. Actually I'm not an alcoholic, but I am truly a tool junkie with delusions of grandeur that include creating works of art from one of God's greatest gifts to the world: wood. When the inspiration occurs I want to be ready, hence the tool junkie.

I've recently retired, having spent most of my life starting & growing small businesses and then selling them when my attention span ran out. Hmmm, sounds like what I've been doing here, selling almost as many tools as I buy, except my interest in woodworking, especially "woodspinning" is still growing. It's a hobby I started 50+ years ago that then took a 50 year hiatus while I tried to grow up. No luck with that.

Until a few years ago I was a lot taller than I am now, so a lot of my efforts have gone into building a wheelchair-friendly woodshop environment using "big people tools" and learning the adjustments necessary to do good work from a fixed position, such as sitting on a stool.

I've found the people here to be some of the friendliest and most helpful of anywhere I have been and I'm proud to be here. Since I've been a member for 3 yrs as of yesterday, Froglips wondered if that might be some kind of a record, so any other shy guys or girls who have been incognito longer than that, please speak up; it's a record I'd rather not own.

When we finally sell our property here in Old Sparta and move back "home" to Arizona I hope to continue being an NCWWer. I'll sign off by saying "Aloha y'all"

Russ

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'll reply with a "welcome to the site Russ!" post on 7/8/2014 or so...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Aloha Luke,

Yea, I looked up the Hawaiian translation for your name and mine. You can tell I had a slow day. :gar-La;:gar-La; Just the same, glad you are onboard. You would have thought being stationed in Hawaii I would have learned some of the language and I did but Merry Christmas and Happy New Years is about all. :rotflm::rotflm:

Mikale

richlife

New User
Rich
Hey, you're just a "slightly worn" new, Russ. Some do recognize your touch, tool guy. :cool:

BTW, still happy with what you sent me even though "odd" stuff has kept me from getting the CO2. Got to go to north Raleigh tomorrow, so will go by the paint ball place then. And would you believe I have this 5 lb. tank of CO2 just sitting in my shop? Whoda thunk?

But back to welcomes -- don't be too quick to rush back to AZ. Too d--- hot and dry!

Rich

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
North Carolina is a beautiful place to live but so is Arizona. Where ever you end up, it will be good.

Red

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
There is an article in the current issue of Wood Magazine (Sept. 2011) that might be helpful. It is called Woodworking on Wheels. About a guy in a wheelchair setting up shop and woodworking. It might be worth your time to give it a read.

Berta

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Russ: Welcome a'board' - I had not considered the pun value of that phrase for WWing until now.

You do qualify as the first NCWW member that I met before they introduced themselves here. I'm glad you feel at home enough to introduce yourself (finally). Once Bas welcomes you in three years, I'll have to second that motion - or 'like' his post - or something like that.

Henry

richlife

New User
Rich
North Carolina is a beautiful place to live but so is Arizona. Where ever you end up, it will be good.

Red

Absolutely, Red! I was just funnin' Russ about "hot and dry". There are many (maybe most) who would prefer that to our "hot and steamy" -- though not me.

And Russ, everything works great just as you said. In fact, better than I had even hoped. Your help and advice before the purchase were excellent -- many thanks. Keep popping in here occasionally.

Rich

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Hey Man, I think I met you somewhere. I remember the aroma of WOOD, fresh roasted coffee, a friendship and an awesome shop!

you're not slow just slow roasted!

Kave

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Thanks to all y'all for your warm greetings, puns, bits of wisdom and especially your e-friendship. One of these days I'll work up the courage to post pics of some of the methods I've developed to waste a perfectly good piece of wood. Ever try roasting coffee beans with a few little chunks of Sweetgum? DON'T!:eek: I'll be sure to check back in 3 years to see if BAS remembered to repost:rotflm:. Once again, you have all reinforced my feelings about NCWW members.

p.s.: Tracy, do I get my coupon for a free DQ Blizzard now:wsmile:?

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Russ, I think any of the members here know you are not a newby by any means. Now that I finally got the chance to visit you at your shop I can say that you have your hands full trying to find a new home and shop that you will be able to fit all of your toys.... excuse me...... tools into. Your current setup in one of the nicest, most thought out shops Ive ever stepped into. Good luck in the hunt for a new home.

BTW, I cut up that riverbirch you gave me and it sure looks like I will get some fine looking turnings out of it. Thanks you so much!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Russ. :icon_scra You seem oddly familiar. I think you'll get along just fine with this group. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS