New gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice work. Your split oak frame is very interesting, can you give more info on how you made it. Look forward to seeing more pictures from you, we love pics. Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
I agree - the firewood piece is cool. Now I'm going to have to look more carefully at my firewood! Thanks for sharing.

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
The problem that I've run into now is that I hate to burn the stuff! My firewood guy happened to give me a particularly "clean" batch of oak, and I wound up setting aside a good bit of it to plank.

The firewood frame began as an experiment--I'd just gotten my new bandsaw and a nice 1" Timberwolf resaw blade, and I used some firewood to give the saw and blade a test run. It sliced the first chunk so nicely that I poked around the woodpile until I found a nice quartered chunk that had evidently been near a limb--the knot was left in an adjacent quarter, but (as grain tends to do) the grain had compensated by sweeping in a pleasing arc around the knot end of the limb. Red oak splits so cleanly that there wasn't much to do to the split edge.

A nice thing about quartered oak firewood is that it's already halfway to being quartersawn--all we have to do is slice it up!

Not much to say about the construction--it's a hand-cut M&T joint in each corner. I used a hand-scraper to preserve but smooth out the inner edges of the rails and stiles. Finished with Formby's "tung oil" finish.
Glad y'all liked the piece! Not much skill required here--just pretty wood!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice work Brent. Also like your avatar. Is that an Ivory Billed Woodpecker hanging out in your yard? We don't have many of those in the Triangle :mrgreen:

Still looking for a Carolina Parakeet,
Sapwood

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
Yep, that's an Ivory-bill...whole FLOCKS of 'em around here--I don't know what the big deal is, except that they're *delicious*! Mmmmmm...better than condor, which I find gamey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS