New from Lexington

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Hi y'all, let me begin by saying that we moved here from the Northeast about 3 yrs ago. Our family had moved to Thomasville from the same area of the country as we about 3 years prior. Because we only had the opportunity to see them a couple times a year and my wife and I had recently retired, our move to Lexington seemed like a no brainer. Incidentally, we loved the rich southern laid back style, the much warmer weather and it's history here in the South. I worked as a non skilled laborer in a couple of factory settings for 45 years but had always wished that I could have the ability to be skilled at something. I was envious of people who could do something creative with their mind and hands. But what? Before retiring I became interested in woodworking and began to watch Norm Abrams......right from the beginning. Later, it was Tom Silva, The Woodsmith Shop and many others, I couldn't get enough of them. I loved the way they could improvise, be creative and think out of the box. When we moved to Lexington, I was receiving the Woodsmith Magazine and became further enhanced by the woodworking bug, so I purchased a few machines and thought that if I had plans from the magazine I could make anything. However, I was living a dream as I had no prior experience with woodworking tools. Furthermore, I have a learning disability and adult ADD. In addition, my skill set is highly limited and ability to think out of the box is non existent. Also, I live on a very strict budget and cannot purchase a lot of high end materials. I don't wish for sympathy, just that I wanted to let people know me a little better. Sorry that this was more of a book than anything else. Have a great day, stay healthy and enjoy your families.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Vic, now is a good time to watch Youtube and pick up ideas and how-to do its. I have seen everything from very basic up to world class woodworking and there are plenty of videos in between. Plus, if you need to you can pause and back up to see something again. I started out with a Sears table saw, drill and a Makita palm sander. My formal woodworking education was an 8 week course in seventh grade. Maybe you could watch some Roy Underhill videos to pick up on hand tool skills. Good luck in whatever final course you decide to take.

Roy G

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
There are lots of T'ville folks who grew up working in the furniture factories of Thomasville Furniture. I bet if you go to Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply and Lowe's you can find some guys who will share their life long accumulated skills. The Senior Center, ReStore, and Ag Extension sessions (after coronavirus) who will be glad to share. Best of Luck! and Welcome!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Vic. Another former North Easterner though I have been here since 1993. I also have adult ADD. Because of that a lot of my woodworking is done on a scroll saw. Even without out a scroll saw there are lots of smaller projects you can do in hours verse days and weeks. Start small.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
When I first visited down here, I noticed right away, when folks wave to you on the street, they use all five fingers. Not the same as the DC area! So when I retired, next day we were on our way.

I started by doing high end loudspeakers. Many years watching The Woodwright's Shop. Never had any training either, but videos on the WEB can help a lot. There are at least 10 ways to do anything. 9 of them work. Just pick one of those. Every now and again, someone unencumbered by the knowledge of the 10 comes up with #11 and it is even better!

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Thanks for the words. Be t y much appreciated. Yes, most people from the North are very disrespectful and mean. Lots of good ones also.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Welcome aboard Vic! Im in lexington too, and a northern transplant as well. Send me an offline message and you can come by , we can discuss what youd like to work on and maybe I can help you out with some materials.

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Hey Chris, Thanks for the offer and your kindness. I don't know how to send an offline message. Would like very much to contact and meet up. You can text me at 336-300-0120.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the southeast Vic, and the Carolinas, and NCWW! Sure are glad you decided to join our happy family. Make all the connections you can with NCWW members, because they are the most helpful, generous, friendly, and downright nicest people in the world. As far as viruses go, getting bit by the sawdust bug is a terminal disease that is only cured by more saw dust.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS