New fence for Jet contractor saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
Well, it's time to upgrade the table saw. I have a Jet contractor saw that's about 3 years old. I've built a rolling cabinet with storage and built-in dust collection. I have no complaints about the saw except the fence could stand to be more accurate and stronger. So I can't justify selling it and getting a Hybrid.

IMG_4994.jpg

I'm looking at the following aftermarket fences and wondered if any of you have the same saw and/or have tried any of these fences.

Vega PRO 40
Shop Fox Classic
Biesemeyer Commercial 30"

I don't have room in my garage show for a full 50" fence, so if I got the Shop Fox Classic, I'd probably shorten the rails a bit [the short Shop Fox only allows 26" rip capacity to the right - I want more than that).

Anyway, do any of you have thoughts on these fences?

Thanks!
J. C.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Hi JC, Really nice cabinate. I like the dust shute and drawers. About fences, I've been using the old classic Beisemire since 1981. It's a great design. Now its copied by those you selected. My desire would be to have a way to do fine adjusting of the cut space, other than bumping the fence. If you are trying to do percision cuts---I often measure with a 6" caliper---having a way to "dial in" would be very helpful. The Vega may have this feature, but the others don't seem to. Also keep in mind the the rails take up at least 6" more than the cut size, on the right side of the fence, to support the right side of the T square.

I've had to remove my fence from the saw due to moving between states a number of times and it always ireinstalled accurately.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
Shortly after posting my request for opinions on fences, I saw this post from Jeremy about the Biesemeyer fence with 30" rails going on sale at Lowes an Apex (25 minutes from my house). I'm now the proud owner of a Biesemeyer fence. :eusa_danc

I'll post pics once it's installed.

J. C.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
13 hours (and $200) after my original post this morning, a brand new Biesemeyer fence is installed and ready for its first cut. :eusa_clap Instead of installing the stock extension table, I installed the router table extension that I'm currently building.

IMG_4995.jpg

I added some installation details in a different thread, if you are interested.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
congratulations, you are now fully deserving of any YOU SUCKS you may receive! looking at doing the same for my JET saw, like yours, too. And the fence you had is better than the one on my saw.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats JC! That's was fast :saw:
The reliability of a good fence is a rewarding upgrade :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors