new favorite saw and Mr obvious comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
The old Disston that I just cleaned up is a D7 I think. A rip saw made between 1896 and 1917. I used it today and it cuts like a dream. Better than my new rip saw pictured here. 28inches and heavier too.

I was ripping some 7 foot stock and it was pinching the saw so I wedged a knife blade in the end kerf and the rip was so much easier...probably and old trick.

Mr. Obvious.
DSC_02621.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that is how the riving knife was invented :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
John,

From a guy who works hard for a living, that picture looks like A LOT of work! :swoon: Hats off to you for that and nice job on the saw. :icon_thum

02blues

New User
john
I will tell you it was quite a work out. Really have to pace myself and let the saw do the work. Ripped two boards like that today for a second lathe I am building. Wish I had switched to the old disston sooner though as it worked faster than my "new saw" probably b/c I am an amateur sharpener...

Nothing will compare though to rippeing over 200 feet of pine for my workbench top. Been there done that. Better last a good long while. Did learn many lessons though. :icon_scra
DSC_2315.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice saw but, I dunno...bandsaw is a heckuva lot faster for me. :gar-Bi

Nice drive by on the bench. I can see how you'd get better ripping after that project. :icon_thum

Chuck

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have realized that working with handtools, not just hand planes, but actually going from "rought-ready" with hand tools makes me a better craftsman when I do use power tools. I have a better understanding of the medium that i am working with. Just my two cents. I have a couple of old disstons, I have an old backsaw that will need a full rehab, cant wait to make it sing.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, the beauty of a well tuned saw.......

In using some handmade 18th century reproduction saws (sadly not in my permanent collection :gar-Cr ), there was little to know effort involved.

You really were just there to keep the saw from falling on the floor. It did take a lot of learn'n to, as they say, let the saw do the work.

Most of my saws were so dull, I'd have better luck cutting from the untoothed side :nah:

Really enjoying your updates! Now lets get some lasers mounted on those saws :p

Jim

02blues

New User
john
how did you get you scribe mark? chalk line?

Jerome

Its been a while since I did that one. I think I used a pencil line and a square. Lately I have been using a chalk line and like it.

I don't think I worried about it too much on the bench. Didn't care if it was exactly 4inches thick. Just knew I had to plane the top once glued up. Did plane the bottom but left it rough so some galoot 200 years from now would know (as if my hand planing could ever be mistaken for machine work!!).

I'm fixin to post another MR. Obvious when the software is ready for new photos.:icon_thum

No lasers Froglips...was that an oblique reference to Austin Powers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS