New family project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
My 9 year old son came to me this Am and asked if I could build hime a shelf. I asked what for and where. He replied he wanted it to keep his legos on. He wants 3 or 4r shelves in a bookcase.

Right now his room looks like Dresden after the war (if Dresden had been bult of Legos):wsmile:

Anyway, I said sure, lets build it together. He seemed real happy with that idea. Then I got to thinking, and came up with idea of making the bookcase itself look like it was either one giant Lego or made of multiple large Legos. It shiuld be a real fun project! I wont let him use the TS yet, but I am thinking of letting him work with me on using the Domino Jointer for the construction, and maybe cutting out circles to simulate the protrusions on the top of a Lego block. Oh, and he'll be doing some sanding and gluing too.

I am a happy Dad and my wife is very happy with this concept.

Doug

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

What a fantastic thing. I know you and your son will have a terrific time.

I haven't done any building with folks a young as 9, but have built whole houses (two of them) with high school students. (I was the only old guy on the work site except for the occasional visitor.) The most serious injury on the project was a blister sustained while nailing down the AdvanTech subfloor. Bottom line is that with appropriate guidance and instruction, young builders will do a terrific job, and have fun in the process.

Glennbear

Glenn
To use Ray's term, what a fantastic idea. :eusa_clap I have an imagination which usually overrides my practical side so if I was in your position I would already be cutting up dowels to mount and make it truly "lego looking". :rotflm:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

I forgot to mention this in my post above... as our leader... and you must lead by example... we claim to love photos, so we NEED photos of this project :gar-Bi

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Very cool Doug! My kids (2 and 4) are still to young to do much in the shop but I'm really looking forward to the time where they can participate a bit more.

Travis

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sounds like a really fun project to me, Doug!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

He will have wail of a time with that Domino, for sure.

......I have an imagination which usually overrides my practical side so if I was in your position I would already be cutting up dowels to mount and make it truly "lego looking". :rotflm:

+1 on Glenn's idea with the cutting and gluing the dowel pieces. That would really go a long way in representing the Lego effect.

Hope to see some WIP pictures there, Doug!

Wayne

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Great idea, Doug.:icon_thum Very creative thinking. Your son will enjoy the time you spend with him. If not now, one day.:eusa_clap

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
That's a great idea Doug, should give you a lot of bonding time. My 11 and 13 yr olds have just started learning to turn with the wife on her lathe. Amazing that since I got her involved, how much easier it is to convince her when I say that I want a new tool. :gar-Bi

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Question Doug: its this a singe unit shaped like one Lego block, or single shelves that stack like Lego blocks? The latter sounds do-able, but a lot more involved. Either way, good on ya for the ingenious father-son project.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Cool idea. I bet the wife makes you build a Lego bedroom set after it's done:gar-Bi

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Cool idea. I bet the wife makes you build a Lego bedroom set after it's done:gar-Bi

Nope! I already built the little guy a solid Cherry bed, an roll-top desk and a book shelf with his name routed into it. Next is a Night table. So I already got most of the stuff taken care of. Her one comment was that maybe we could take out the cheap plastic Lego table afterward (if he'll let us). :gar-La;

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Well, my wife and kids better never see this post or I'll be doing a major family project:rotflm:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Good idea Doug to get your son involved. He will remember the expierence when he gets older as a good time with Dad. I remember when I was about 12 helping or at least trying to help my father build a farm trailer out of white oak. It was so hard I couldn't drive the nails but he let me try. About 50 years later I still have that farm trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS