New(er) member from Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
Hello all. I have been lurking on the site for awhile - and I have to say this is a tremendous resource! I have been building some cabinets and furniture, mostly rustic furniture for a lake house we recently finished on Kerr Lake. Like many of you, I spend much of my time convincing the LOML that I need more and better tools :wsmile:

Lloyd

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hello Lloyd,

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile. Glad you decided to come out of the shadows and join in all the fun. What kinds of projects do you like to tackle? Is the table in your avatar something you built?

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
Thanks Ray. I have mostly been building tables and beds out of 2x lumber from Lowes - working very hard convincing my better half I need a jointer!

Yes, I build the WF table. My son graduated from Wake 2 years ago. My most challenging piece, particularly making the template for the logo. I get a lot of nice comments on it, so it was worth it.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Lloyd,

The table and the bench both look great. For that table, did you apply the logo to the surface or is it an inlay? What kind of a finish are you putting on these pieces (it does look good in the photos)?

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
Thanks for the kind words. The logo is inlaid. I had to do it in two steps. first the WF without the empty area in the "W". Then I came back and inlaid pine in the "W". If you look carefully, you can see that the grain runs opposite to the rest of the pine. It was a chore, but the template wasn't sturdy enough with the narrow pieces. The finish on both of these is Minwax Helmsman urethane, over a Minwax stain. I have used the Helmsman urethane on a bunch of pieces, and have been pretty happy with it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Lloyd. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's a beautiful looking table. Nice job on the inlay. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up This is a wonderful group of folks. It's great to have you with us. :eek:ccasion1

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Lloyd!:icon_cheers

Inlays like that are way over my head, Just don't have a steady enough hand or the finesse to keep a router on track like that. - Even with a template!:gar-Cr

Looking forward to reading more of your posts and seeing more of your work.

Stay safe and have fun 'round here.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Lloyd. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And glad you came out of the shadows and shared some of your work w/ us. We love pics!!!!! :gar-Bi

Bill

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Hi Lloyd,

Welcome aboard! As you've already found out, it's a great place to 'hang out'. The people here are great, always offering solid advice and then they offer help if the advice isn't enough!

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS