New Dining Room Table

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I completed my new dining room table in January. Base is softwood construction lumber died black with black ink covered with poly. Top is 6 cherry boards from McKittrick Lumber. I bought it as 1 inch but these boards were clear on one side and almost totally clear on the underside at a little over 7/8th. So I left them there. I "jointed" the edge of these boards with my DeWalt track saw. The finished top is about 3/16 under 10 feet. Some of the boards were a little over 12 feet. Quite a workout for my little AP-10 planner. I used my domino to make the mortise and tenon joints in the uprights, to shave down the streatcher for the haunched tenon, make the hole for the haunched tenon, and to put in 10mm tenons every foot of the top to keep the boards aligned during glueup.

Finish on the top is Osmo.

Attachments

• dining table 1.jpg
    dining table 1.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 325
  • dining table 2.jpg
    dining table 2.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 313

Strom

New User
Strom
Very very nice. Bet the top was heavy when all glued up. Beautiful wood and a great use for it. An heir loom.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I made the top in three pieces due to the weight. I probably would have been OK with two pieces but going one more made each piece around 50 lbs. I glued the pieces together in my dining room resting on the finished base and then sanded the top there. I am not currently married and my doggie didn't complain too much. I used my Bosch DEVS 1250 which has pretty good dust pickup.

Dealing with size and weight were a general challenge on this. The curved braces in the base were cut from a 2x12 and were too wide for my jointer or planner. But by roughing them out and then twisting them through the tools I got it done. One of the cherry boards were too wide for my 10 inch planner but by ripping it first with my track saw I got it under 10 inches wide without having to waste any usable wood. I made all the glue joints in the top with my track saw. Worked well.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Wow Jim, very impressive. That should stay in the family for a couple hundred years.
So, about 10 cherry chairs to match is next?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Chairs will probably be cherry to match but I don't think it will be the next project. I may work on some cabinets for the garage next or possibly a chest of drawers in cherry. I need to be in the mood to start chairs. I find them fussy with lots of small parts and joints to make. But they are definitely on the list. I may not make 10 at one time for the same reason. But at least 4 to start. 4 is enough if only one kid with their family visits. But if we are all here I need 8. Table will seat 10 but I kind of want arm chairs for the ends so they may be a separate project.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks guys. The view is of Lake Murray. I don't have a table in the kitchen, it would not have as good a view so we prefer the dining room.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My corded Ryobi tools are gradually having to be retired but the AP10 is still working pretty well. My BT3100 stripped out the height adjustment screw in the aluminum casting. I could have put in a helicoil but I wanted a SawStop so I just got one and scrapped the old BT3100. I had a old plunge router by Ryobi, I think it was the R500, that got sticky so I moved the motor to my router table and used it for years. But it failed about a year ago and I put in a big PC motor. I still have an old Ryobi radial arm saw I use occasionally, usually to make tenons on a large board. There is a recall on the radial arm but mine hasn't cracked and I'd rather have it than the amount they are offering. I have lots of cordless Ryobi tools and yard tools that I plan to use for the forseeable future. Not am impressive brand but many of the tools work fine.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
How did you fasten the top to the base? That top is going to move with humidity.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS