New desk finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
I used up some Walnut I had for a while...

New_Desk.jpg

BSevier

New User
Bryan
For the first time, I sprayed GF water based dye. I was worried about trying to get an even look if I tried to brush or wipe on the dye stain. I then sprayed a thin seal coat of shellac and sprayed a few coats of GF polyacrylic. I was trying to make something that was just functional, not worried about the looks. But somehow, I exceeded my own expectations.

xophd

New User
Nigel
very new to woodworking
did you just take 4" wide walnut and glue the long pieces together and then planed the top surface?
then sand with handheld tool?

love the high-end look

BSevier

New User
Bryan
Yes, I glued up some 6" bds, used a card scraper to even things out and sanded it down.

For the legs, I could have been a bit smarter, but I changed things along the way. I first started thinking I would have 2-1/4 square legs, so I laminated some 3/4" together. I found after I did that, I wanted something a little more "beefy". So I added a couple more layers, making them 3-3/4 by 2. I then glued 1/8" to each side to hide all the layers and get the legs to 2-1/4". After chamfering the corners, you couldn't tell it was so many pieces. Then I tapered the legs to 2-1/4 square.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
very nice table...did the dye cover the sapwood or did you caul that out?

BSevier

New User
Bryan
This was some extra walnut I had laying around from a kitchen table I built about 8 yrs ago. So I used all the nice matching wood on the table. That's one of the reasons I went so dark (the other is my better half liked the color).
When I was finished with the dye, it all matched perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS