New DC Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
So, I did this over the weekend. I was sick of my DC taking up so much room and I assumed that the 7' pipe between the blower and cyclone with 2 90 degree bends was killing my CFM. I hung it 10' up on the wall with the cyclone directly underneath, no bends. I also hung the filters beside it to get them much closer to the blower outlet. I did this by myself and it was pretty hairy at some points. I bought a hoist to get the motor and blower up that high. I also scrapped all of my duct work and installed everything new with 6" pipe from the cyclone to as close to the tool as I could. Most go down to a 4" flex hose about 3' from the tool. The jointer is the only tool that I could change the port from a 4" to 6". I eliminated as many bends as possible, getting rid of all 90's and replacing them with 2 45's.

I bought a cheap anemometer and did some before and after readings and this change made a huge difference, more than I had hoped. The 2 tools closest to the DC had around 600 CFM before and were both too high for the anemometers scale, so I'm not sure wha they are.

The other 2 that I was most concerned with were the drum sander and planer. Drum sander went from around 550 to about 880 and the planer, which is farthest from the DC went from around 500 to about 750.

So, as hard as it was to get accomplished, I'm really happy with the change. My DC is working much better and I get a little room in my shop back. If your thinking of doing this, i would highly recommend it!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 227

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I bought a cheap anemometer and did some before and after readings and this change made a huge difference, more than I had hoped. The 2 tools closest to the DC had around 600 CFM before and were both too high for the anemometers scale, so I'm not sure wha they are.

Which anemometer did you buy? I need to test mine and don't want to spend a fortune on it. I'm not happy with my suction at my CNC lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS