new crib for my latest grandchild

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I think the best part about being a grandparent and a woodworker is what is pictured below.

olivia_crib1a.JPG

This is the third crib that I have made and by far the best one. My latest grandchild (Olivia) from my youngest son is due in early January. I finished this crib up just in time and was able to deliver it during Christmas. Didn't cut that one too close did I?

The wood is white oak and was purchased from from one of our members, Brian Bluthart. More white oak was just delivered for my next project. High chairs. It just never stops. :help: :roll:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's gonna give a new definition to sleeping like a baby...slepping like a baby in style. Beautiful work. It's a great thing to make something for someone so deserving.

Dave:)

bluthart

New User
Brian
Nice crib Mark! I like that white oak too. Just FYI, the name's Brian Luthart, but close enough... and I've been called much worse! That reminds me to change my handle to Brian Luthart instead of bluthart. Again, great looking crib and thanks for the shout out!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
That is a good looking crib Mark.Been wondering where you have been:icon_scra.You sure you weren't checking that crib out:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:. All jokes aside that is a nice crib:icon_thum.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Nice crib mark. Hopefully you'll be ok with me bugging you as I'm looking to make one myself :help:.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Very nice looking crib Mark. Did you come up with the design yourself or did you have a plan to go by? I am going to be a Grandpa in April and I was thinking about building one too. I would appreciate any insight you may have.
Thanks, Tracy

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Very nice crib. I am going to be getting started on one for my neice soon.

Did you use a plan or just build from the brain? I ordered a 3-1 plan (crib, daybed, twin bed plan) from the internet. I'm looking forward to getting started on it.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
tracy,
Yeah I kind of came up with the design by myself and a little help from the federal government. There are laws that stipulate the slat spacing and a few other items. I took those laws, and a little shopping around and came up with the crib you see. My limitation was no wood turning equipment so everything had to be done with a table saw and and router.
The first place to start is the bed springs. They are very hard to find but if you can find a kind and simpathetic fellow woodworker (insert Robert Arrowood here) that might have an old crib that can be salvaged for parts, the rest of the crib gets designed to fit the springs. As you get closer to your project, let me know and I will be glad to walk you through the process. Keep in mind that the finish needs to to cure at least three weeks before inserting children.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Mark,
thanks for your help. I am guessing that you can find those govt. standards online. I don't have turning equipment either. I was thinking about square spindles with rounded over corners. I never thought about not being able to find springs. I suppose you can find new mattresses? Would it be feasible to use a solid bottom with no springs and use a good mattress? Are your slats mortise and tenon? I have never done any of that. I guess its time I learned how.
Thanks again for your reply.
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS