new countertops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I am installing new laminate countertops in the kitchen. When I got the countertop home from the big box store it has a cloudy film on it. You can tell when the made the counter they wiped the edges down with something that removed the cloudiness. I want to get this off before I start cutting the tops for sink and cook top. Any Ideas???

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
When I worked at the millwork company they used lacquer thinner to clean the tops. Not sure what else is out there that will do the job.

Jerry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I vote AGAINST lacquer thinner. It's thin enought to wick under laminate, breaking the bond. Forbes Cabinets ( a very large commercial cabinet shop) only allows the use of mineral spirits to clean laminate

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I use Acetone to remove any adhesive glue when doing laminate. It works well and I have never had an issue.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I think I have this figured out. Years ago a countertop guy gave me a spray laminate cleaner/wax type stuff. If I put that on a spot I get the same results. So the areas that have been wiped have wiped off the waxy stuff on the counter top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors