new cordless drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
I've been thinking about getting a new cordless drill, I've been doing some research and leaning toward a bosch, anyone have anything to say about them good or bad?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
For my use Bosch is just not there - seems the batteries are not the quality they should be. I would rate Bosch along with Hitachi, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Ridgid - all are at best mid-grade. The very best are Makita, Panasonic, Hilti, Metabo and Festool.
Makita is by far the best value

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I always buy refurbished Hitachi from bigskytool.com

Don't mean to hijack the thread as I'm interested in folks' responses. I've got a 15 or 16 year old Dewalt that's getting weak and am shopping. But I get the daily mails from Big Sky Tool with their deals. I've never in my life seen so many "factory reconditioned" Hitachi tools!!! You'd think after a while they'd get it right and wouldn't have so many that needed "re-conditioning." Are they really any good Dan?

Thanks,

Tom

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I just want to say that I'm a DeWalt guy. I've had great luck with the two cordless drills that I own. One is from back in the 90's and still works fine. Look around and read reviews to help you decide.

Red

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the white Makita drill/ impact driver set. Batteries (I have a set of 3) still going strong after 5 years. Light, powerful, and reliable.
I also have a 12V Bosch impact driver. Nice for driving screws, battery life is so-so, but since I have two, I can just swap as needed.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I have a couple Dewalts and like them. I got tired of spending $99 for a new battery every 5 years. I have recently switched to Rigid due to their lifetime warranty on tools AND batteries. The registration process was a bit of a pain, but I am anxious to see how it works when time for a new battery.
Good luck with your decision

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a variety of manufactures. P-C, DeWalt, Bosch, Delta etc. In my opinion I like Bosch best, then DeWalt. P-C aren't what they use to be & the Delta drill was a low end product (it's junk) Hilti, Metabo and Festool are very proud of their products and I feel over priced. In fact Festool is priced so high you could buy 3 or 4 DeWalts or Bosch products and toss them when they break.

Pop

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I bought the Makita LCT200W Combo Kit a couple of years ago to replace a 15 year old Dewalt and have been very pleased with it. I continue to be surprised at the power they have. I have also bought numerous Hitachi corded tools from Big Sky Tool and have had no problems with them. I very much like the Hitachi pneumatic nailers.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Hilti is supposed to be in the top of the cordless world with Festool, but I have heard the Hilti stuff is more powerful and tougher. For my usage, a Milwaukee LiIon has worked great. Their impact driver is better than the drill though as far as putting in long wood screws. The drill works good, but I wish it was stronger sometimes.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a variety of manufactures. P-C, DeWalt, Bosch, Delta etc. In my opinion I like Bosch best, then DeWalt. P-C aren't what they use to be & the Delta drill was a low end product (it's junk) Hilti, Metabo and Festool are very proud of their products and I feel over priced. In fact Festool is priced so high you could buy 3 or 4 DeWalts or Bosch products and toss them when they break.

Pop

I've got several DeWalt drills and drivers. The only failure (other than replacing batteries) was when I destroyed a chuck by dropping it just wrong on concrete. My fault. I haven't owned a Bosch. Since you have both I'm curious why you like the Bosch best.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I own an 18v Bosch for my "main" hole drilling/misc needs driver with two Ion batteries, and is as strong today as when new (5 yrs +/-), even with my abuse! I also own a Bosch 12v drill/driver with three Ion batteries for my screwing of mostly pocket hole screws and "sheet rock" screws (mostly in name only). This tool is likewise abused, and is probably the most used tool in the shop, other than a tape measure, square, and pencil. If I were to replace either of these work horses, I'd stay with the Bosch brand, but use the impact versions. A cab shop I worked in a couple of years ago used 12v Bosch impacters exclusively (for screwing), and although they were a bit louder, never shirked from screws of any length or girth. I've used the 18v Dewalt and it seems a bit heavier, but suppose it is as competent. I've owned PC, Skill, Craftsman, Kowisoki (spelling), and off-brands and nothing I have ever owned or used has excelled the Bosches I own. IMO, when you have a winner, why change.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
I have a couple Dewalts and like them. I got tired of spending $99 for a new battery every 5 years. I have recently switched to Rigid due to their lifetime warranty on tools AND batteries. The registration process was a bit of a pain, but I am anxious to see how it works when time for a new battery.
Good luck with your decision

Agree with Randy here.
I am now I need of replacing a Rigid "lifetime warranty" 12V battery pack. If you follow the process from Rigid, on their website, it is pretty unfriendly -

....HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT YOUR LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND PROPER PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION MUST BE PRESENTED WHEN REQUESTING SERVICE COVERED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT. To obtain service for this RIDGID® tool under the Lifetime Service Agreement, you must return it to One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID® Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service, 1428 Pearman Dairy Rd, Anderson, SC 29625, freight prepaid, or take it to a designated service center. You may obtain the location of the designated service center nearest you by calling (toll- free) 1-866-539-1710 or by logging on to www.ridgid.com. Not all authorized RIDGID® Brand service centers have been approved to provide service under the Lifetime Service Agreement. When requesting service under the Lifetime Service Agreement, you must present your Lifetime Service Agreement Identification Number and proper personal identification (a valid driver’s license, passport, or military I.D. or a valid Social Security card with photo ID). The designated service center will repair or replace any part covered under the Lifetime Service Agreement, at our option, at no charge to you.

- - take/send the pack and charger to the closest Rigid Repair Center for evaluation. The closest one to me is in Raleigh - - I will call and see how it goes.

Anyone else have some experience with Rigid repair/replacement warranty to share??
Thanks

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My first cordless drill was a Bosch, that was back in th mid 90s, The palnetary gears went out of it after about a year, Switched to Dewalt and never had a problem again, dropped them, run them over in the yard with my F150 and they have even fallen in my pool, no problems. Sure you may have to replace batteries once in a while, but the last one I bought was an 18V kit, Drill, 2 batteries, charger and bag for $88 at Lowes. Ive been using that one for 3 years now. Still have older 14.4v and an old 12v as well. Not sure how anyone can justify a $600 Festool drill either.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've owned a DeWalt cordless and it was OK but I use Ryobi cordless tools now. I broke one drill putting in locksets in solid core doors. I was drilling the big hole with a hole saw and had completed several doors already. I also drilled 1/2 inch holes in steel relocating the axle on my boat trailer with that drill. I understand the brand in not impressive and some of their tools are junk but I've gotten good service from their drills. With lithium ion batteries, the little circular saw is useful as is the reciprocating saw. I have the jig saw too and for simple things it is useful. The little impact driver is nice for screws. It is too weak for lags, however (I have a cordless HF impact wrench that works well for lags)

Especially for a drill, I think Ryobi is just fine.

logroll

New User
logroll
I am now on the Bosch bandwagon. Bought a 12 volt pocket driver. Lost it and replaced it with another Bosch pocket driver. Then bought a Bosch 18V drill driver and impact driver combo kit. Next my new favorite is the Bosch 12V brushless drill driver. Not as big as the 18 volt, but with a lot of power.

Only have used these for 12-18 months, so can't comment on long term. And bought them CPO tools and most if not all reconditioned at a very good price.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Anyone else have some experience with Rigid repair/replacement warranty to share??
Thanks

Haven't tried the repair center in Raleigh. Just be sure to follow ALL instructions and include ALL requested info for replacement or they may deny it for lack of compliance.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I've been thinking about getting a new cordless drill, I've been doing some research and leaning toward a bosch, anyone have anything to say about them good or bad?

Makita black and white series is the one I like. I use my 3 drivers and 2 drills every day. In the shop I worked in we had DeWalt stuff. When the Makita 18v drills showed up everybody wanted to use them and the DeW gathered dust.

When I bought the 2 drill driver sets HD had them on sale for 200. A deal. I like the light weight and the power is good.

My son went the Rigid route to get the battery deal. It is a good deal but he has waited weeks for the "new battery" to come.

In my case I have used 7 batteries from Makita and really beat them up. Not one has died before the 3 year promise.

I think there are lots of good drills/drivers out there. It make sense to me to hold the tool and try it for fit. Everybody is a little different and its a tool you will use a bunch.

Truthfully, I don't pull my air hose out when I work on my car any more, I use my Makita to do most of the work.

Good luck

Ed D

New User
Ed
I received the March 2015 issue of Wood magazine yesterday, and there is a review / comparison of thirteen 12 volt drill drivers. Pretty good information there. Ed

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Ed I don't get the magazine but I think I read the article on+line that you refer to in your message. Maybe not? The evaluator stated the drivers/drills take 30-40 minutes to recharge from full out. This is totally false for the Makita. I can take the Makita 18v from flat dead to full charge in 12 minutes. I just tried 2 batteries today to check my memory.

I pushed 97 screws 3" long into a 4 x 4 post as fast as I could to see if the battery in the driver would die before the charger topped off the dead battery. No way.

In the past I have found some of these tests to be outrageously misleading. Remember the FWW article about applying 1200lbs of pressure to a bar clamp to get a good bond on a glue joint? Oh, I remember the FWW article that pontificated about the only way to get your bandsaw blade to the right tension was to use a tuning fork and get the right pitch by plucking the blade. When the readers finally said: "I'll take BS for 200" Don Pardo- FWW fell back and called the test a wash.

What's the point? I think there are lots of good drill/driver sets out there and you just have to find the one that feels good to you. After all. we're just making holes and setting screws. Nuf' said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors