New computer desk

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been working as time allows on a new computer desk to use when I work from home. I picked up some 4/4 hard maple from GPS Hardwood in Kernersville a few months ago. I selected the best faces for the table top, about 4' wide & 22" deep, then glued wood up to become the legs. Next came milling the pieces to size.
20190908_132425.jpg

Here the apron & legs are dry fit and held in place with a ratchet strap. I made a jig for cutting the tapers on the insides of the legs.

I found some 8/4 cherry to make a banding strip around the top to give it the appearance if being much thicker than it is. The cherry is glued and secured with dowels.
20191028_075718.jpg

The used mortise/tenon joinery for the legs & aprons.
20191028_075618.jpg

Attaching the table top to the base, I made some buttons, routed some mortises into the aprons, and secured with cabinet screws.

20191103_113941.jpg

I have used hand planes & card scrapers to smooth the top down.

Next up is the finishing. I plan to use clear shellac to seal, then a clear coating with General Finishes (can't remember the exact product at the moment).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
REALLY like that Neal - don't forget to show us when you finish it!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did sand down the top to hide the mistakes made in the finish. Two coats of GF High-Performance water-based poly applied with a foam brush, with a light sanding between the coats.

Here is it in it's finished state.
20191116_094339.jpg

Cords bundled and strapped to the buttons securing the top, power strip mounted underneath.
20191116_094640.jpg

View from the backside.

20191116_094626.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That really looks great. Nice docking station for the laptop and I like the way you cleaned up the wiring. It all fits in well and looks like a comfortable place to work.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks AWESOME ......... one suggestion maybe look at getting something like this to hold the monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor...=computer+monitor+stand&qid=1573921476&sr=8-6

Then adapt the connection plate so it is mounted underneath to the bottom of the table top. That will free up the work space alot and the top will visible and get the admiration it deserves.

Because Monitors are so cheap now, at work I have 3 -32" monitors n a regular desk.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yea, looking for a newer monitor. Thanks for the link!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Back when I was working, docking stations and a good monitor for home was a big deal. Being able to work from home with similar functionality to the work environment was totally important. Hope this all works well for you. The desk is awesome as a work-station.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS