New Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Book shelf - this one is 3' tall but customer wants it 7' tall and natural cherry instead of black.

IMG950702.png

Looks like I'll need to get my "Goth" on for this commish.

Rather morbid I must say...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good luck Jeff. I know you are up to the challenge.

At 7' tall, I would be more concerned of the side-side stability of having a lot of weight on the upper shelve an it tipping over sideways. Plus, the cherry has GOT to be better looking than the black...LOL

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would add in at least one anti-tip bracket, somewhere around the those side angle corners - just to be safe. If they use them, great, if not, at least you gave your client the chance to be safe.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Oh yeah affixing to studs in the wall is a absolute must for this book shelf. I need to figure out what the angles are and the overall measurements. Make a template for the spider webs, rough out the spiderwebs with my jigsaw the use my router to finish the spider webs. Cherry burns so easy though... I'm going to need a new sharp bit and really slow router speed to pull off those spider webs.
Or I may just use my jigsaw to cut out the spider webs and call it done - since in the picture they aren't uniform anyways...

I might work in a French cleat to affix it to the studs. That way they can position it where the want.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I install pieces of aluminum "French Cleats" to the back of furniture and shelving cases, When placed at the right height, it works very well, yet it easy to lift off when the need arises.

Charley

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Oh yeah affixing to studs in the wall is a absolute must for this book shelf. I need to figure out what the angles are and the overall measurements. Make a template for the spider webs, rough out the spiderwebs with my jigsaw the use my router to finish the spider webs. Cherry burns so easy though... I'm going to need a new sharp bit and really slow router speed to pull off those spider webs.
Or I may just use my jigsaw to cut out the spider webs and call it done - since in the picture they aren't uniform anyways...

I might work in a French cleat to affix it to the studs. That way they can position it where the want.

Experiment with that router speed question. I had been slowing down my router speed but saw burning increase! There's something of a balance between speed and feed rate (for a particular bit and wood combo) Went online and found people showing that a fast router speed allowed for increased feed rate and lower temperatures. Go figure.

NTCook

New User
Nick
Cherry burns so easy though... I'm going to need a new sharp bit and really slow router speed to pull off those spider webs.

I have a love/hate relationship with cherry for this reason. I try to only work it with hand tools where possible.

What if you roughed it out with the jigsaw then finished it by hand with a carving gouge? That might add some attractive texture to each of the webs. Hard to explain how I'm seeing it in my head though.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Are you gonna make the shelves removable, so it can have a second function? Just another morbid thought.:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS