New Carving Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I was browsing the lumber section at the BORG and two 2"x12"x16' almost perfect SYP boards were sitting right on top of the pile!

I've been wanting a more stable carving bench so here's what I ended up with:

Carving_Bench_2.jpg

Carving_Bench_1.jpg

It's a bit more than 2' wide, 40" long and 39" high. I can work comfortably standing up for heavy carving and sitting on the stool for detail work.
The slotted center section is removable so I can clamp from the center of the bench.
Vice on the left (holding my HF swiveling vice and a practice WIP)
I haven't decided on dog holes yet. I'll just add them as needed.
I think it's a pretty good bench for less than $40 in wood.

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I like it Pete. I've always been a fan of SYP for bench/counter tops. As for dog holes, I kinda liked the arrangement in your other slanted bench, where you could hold any size or shape work piece.

Bill

richlife

New User
Rich
Nice idea, Pete. Way to go! I've been pondering doing something about my bench -- my limited space makes for limited options. Your pics and description give me some good ideas. Maybe if I'm down that way I can come by for a look see.

My bench is small also (30x48") with a very stable base of 2x4s, a structurally supportive shelf set low on the legs and a glued up, doubled 3/4" plywood (makes it 1 1/2" thick) top which is bolted on. So I can easily remove the top (frankly, the trestle base has been fantastically stable) and replace it with a custom maple lamination (at least, that's the plan). But your structure for carving is what is intriguing me -- and Bill's comment about the "slanted bench" is interesting too.

Rich

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Rich - You're welcome to stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood. I'd also like to visit your shop one day.

Here's a picture of the "slanted bench" that Bill mentioned. It's small and designed to be portable and just clamp on top of a regular bench. The picture is from Mark's (Stave) shop last year. I spent a very productive day with him.

Mark3.jpg

pete

stave

New User
stave
Good job on the bench and it looks flexible...to nice to bang on though. Now when are we going to see some new carvings....got no excuse now!
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif

Stave

richlife

New User
Rich
Hey Rich - You're welcome to stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood. I'd also like to visit your shop one day.

Here's a picture of the "slanted bench" that Bill mentioned. It's small and designed to be portable and just clamp on top of a regular bench. The picture is from Mark's (Stave) shop last year. I spent a very productive day with him.

pete

AH! Now I see. Thanks, Pete. My bench is lower than your new one for use with other work, but I had also made a similar smaller "benchtop bench" to be added so I can stand and work without bending. Good idea to add a slanted surface with clamping options.

I appreciate the shot you provided, Bill. And Pete, are those the Flexcut "gouges" with your handles that sit above the slanted bench in Bill's picture?

Rich

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Pete, are those the Flexcut "gouges" with your handles that sit above the slanted bench in Bill's picture?

Yes they are. I couldn't deal with switching handles and Flexcut charges $15 for their handles.
They were easy to make from scrap. Just drilled a 3/8" hole and stuck the blade in. I was going to use epoxy but they hold fine with nothing added.

pete

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I thought you were gonna drill some bench dog holes?

I will be adding some but I wanted to work on it a bit and see where and how many I will need.
One benefit of round dogs is you can add holes when and where you need them.

pete

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a really nice bench. Thanks for sharing.
Richard

M

McRabbet

Excellent bench, Pete! Can you store your chisels in the removable slot in the center while you are working? Nothing worse than having them get bumped off the bench....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS