New card scraper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I ordered my first card scraper, a Bahco, the other day, it arrived today.
I watched one youtube video on preparing the card for use by establishing a "hook", and it showed the various tools.
I'm assuming that this scraper, as it arrived, must be prepped before use, yes/no?
This is all new to me, and this thing just looks like a flat piece of steel. Its hard to see the edge 'cuz its so thin, but it looks like a 90 degree to me.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have learned how to use a card scraper a few years ago and love it... when properly tuned. The biggest thing your gonna need is something to burnish the edge with. I have both a jig I bought at woodcraft and a burnishing tool. Secondly you will need a flat file, I use a fine file and it does well, heard of others using a step finer than mine but a fine flat file works good. Also, for a really good finish to it and make it work smooth, you'll need a some sort of sharpening device. I use a 2 sided wet-stone (fine and very fine). The hardest part to it is practicing making the hook. It is not as easy as it looks. I can step you through both my methods for prepping and turning the hook.

To answer you question, everyone I have bought came with a hook already on it. At first it worked good then it wore out fairly quickly on everyone I've bought. When I started sharpening my own, I thought man I have to sharpen this more often than the first time it came sharp from the factory. I found out quickly that it was my method and skill at it. The more I sharpen it, the longer it last. One easy way to tell if the hook is on there is lightly drag your fingernail across the edge, like you where trying to scrap paint of the flat portion of the medal. If you feel that hook stop your nail then you have one. As to if it is proper, only a peice of wood or a "trained fingernail":gar-La; will tell. Hope this helps.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For removing varnish you don't really need a hook. Try it an see what you think. If it's not scraping the varnish well enough you can put a bur on with a smooth hard screwdriver shaft. Put the card in a vise and pull the rod along the edge at a slight angle. You can feel the edge until you get a small hook, don't go too far or the hook will curl up into a tube then won't cut. You should just feel an edge as you pull your fingertips off the card.

Too much hook, too much pressure and you will cut into the wood instead of just the varnish.

You really should practice on that table top a little bit to get used to the card scraper.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Scraper worked great!

Especially in the tight spots like the little area of wood between the pistol grip cap and the checkering.

026-Copy_zpseaf8e1be.jpg

FlyingRon

Ron
William Ng has a pretty good video. Frankly, I followed an article I read a long time ago (Tage Frid? can't remember). I give the card a flat quick pass on my oilstone to flatten off what is there and then use the back of a chisel to make the burr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS