New Box

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Just finished a new keepsake box. I recently acquired some claro walnut shorts with some very interesting grain patterns. So I made the box with wrap around grain pattern. It has mitered corners a square spline to reinforce the corners and a curly maple top with inlaid padauk. I used side rail hinges and a Brusso latch. The interior is also curly maple with a leather bottom. The finish is Odie's dark oil.

Claro Box 1.JPGClaro Box 2.JPGClaro Box 3.JPG

BKHam

Bradley
User
can you explain the square spline? does the grain direction run opposite to the grain in the sides?

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Dan, Your work is amazing. The wood in this box is outstanding, love how there is a little walnut peeking through the back wall on the inside of the box.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Dan, just curious how you cut the mortises for the hinges and latch? The reason I ask is the just recently used the exact same hinges and latch on a box for a Shaper Origin project! Beautiful job BTW!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful box, well appointed details. I like it.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan, just curious how you cut the mortises for the hinges and latch? The reason I ask is the just recently used the exact same hinges and latch on a box for a Shaper Origin project! Beautiful job BTW!
Michael, the side rail hinges are easy with a router table. See YouTube for "Neat Hinge Installation". The latch is from Brusso, and they have instructions on their website.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
Beautiful work. As to the padauk accents, do you have any feel for the orangish color retention with the use of the Odie's dark oil finish? Perhaps it's way too early to tell? Thanks.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. As to the padauk accents, do you have any feel for the orangish color retention with the use of the Odie's dark oil finish? Perhaps it's way too early to tell? Thanks.
Larry, I have used Odie's on Padauk for over 2 years, and it gets more mellow over time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS