New body for a Transitional Plane

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I sometimes use transitional hand planes and several years ago I put together an (almost) “full” set of Stanley transitional planes.

I have a few partial planes that I cannibalized some of the parts off of and they’re just sitting around.

Has anyone ever made a new body for a transitional plane?

I’d have to fabricate some of the missing parts.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
What is a transitional plane for woodworking? Thanks.

Jeff, I’m not entirely sure I understand your question, but “transitional” is a name given to these part wood/part metal planes.

I believe some considered them to be a transition between the traditional wooden planes and the early metal planes like the ubiquitous Stanley Bailey (and many other brands) metal planes.

The idea was a familiar wooden sole combined with an easily adjustable metal mechanism.

EDIT:

This is the nearly complete set of Stanley transitional planes. I see a NOS Sargent in their as well as a pre 1868 Leonard Bailey smoother.

Almost all of these are users.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gotcha and thanks. The word "transitional" is what I didn't understand in combination with hand planes.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I don't own any for different reasons but I see them all the time.... usually in poor condition. Are you looking for anything specific or just contemplating making your own parts?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Chris, I usually was reasonably picky about getting mostly usable planes. I have a few that were essentially NOS when I got them.

I have a couple of them laying around that I have cannibalized some the parts off of. I wondered if anyone had used their vintage metal parts on a newly made wooden body. I was looking at cobbling some of the leftovers into a working “Frankenstein Plane” with a new body.

I happen to have some spare curly maple that I thought might work to make an interesting replacement body. Now that I am looking at what I have on hand, I don’t think I have enough parts on hand for the complete build. I’d fabricate a lever cap, but don’t have a chip breaker which I won’t make.

Unfortunately, I’m no longer actively searching for these planes. I will have to see if I stumble onto some random parts.

On the plus side, I recently acquired an old 22 inch wooden try plane. I honed the blade and gave it a quick test run. I really liked it! I’m definitely planning to go through it and get it back in shape.

That size may work really well for laminated workbench builds.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
You first asked about making a body for a transitional plane.

If you want to restore function and don’t mind some inauthenticity, I think that

you could knock out a laminated body for a transitional plane fairly easily (think Krenov). Make the bed, breast, and wear cuts accurately on the table saw and glue the sides on. Then rout the clearance slot behind the bed on the top and screw the mechanism to the body.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
You first asked about making a body for a transitional plane.

If you want to restore function and don’t mind some inauthenticity, I think that
View attachment 184900
you could knock out a laminated body for a transitional plane fairly easily (think Krenov). Make the bed, breast, and wear cuts accurately on the table saw and glue the sides on. Then rout the clearance slot behind the bed on the top and screw the mechanism to the body.

Pop-Pop, That’s a good idea. I was thinking about chopping out the body, but there’s no real need for that.

I think the style you’re suggesting would be a really good fit for those parts.

Unfortunately, unless I can scrounge up some more of the metal parts, I think this may be on a pause. Which is too bad, the build you suggested would be a piece of cake and take no time at all to complete.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From Patrick's Blood and Gore.

Stanley claimed that "Every Carpenter needs two or more wood planes in his kit, for rough outside work" and that "wood planes push easier." Thus, these planes were offered as an alternative to the metallic planes. Furthermore, some guys preferred the feel of wood against wood, like that afforded by the old style wooden bench planes. But, they also understood the benefit of the patented adjustment features found on the metallic planes. Stanley made it possible for these guys to have their cake and eat it, too, by offering these planes.

So, the all metal planes came first then these were made to Transition the hardcore woodies over to the metal planes.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
From Patrick's Blood and Gore.

Stanley claimed that "Every Carpenter needs two or more wood planes in his kit, for rough outside work" and that "wood planes push easier." Thus, these planes were offered as an alternative to the metallic planes. Furthermore, some guys preferred the feel of wood against wood, like that afforded by the old style wooden bench planes. But, they also understood the benefit of the patented adjustment features found on the metallic planes. Stanley made it possible for these guys to have their cake and eat it, too, by offering these planes.

So, the all metal planes came first then these were made to Transition the hardcore woodies over to the metal planes.

Mike, I’m a long way removed from my “Plane accumulating” days, but Patrick L. says Stanley metal planes started production in 1869.

Here’s a photo of the blade in my Leonard Bailey transitional:

I have no idea what that means.

If I weren’t on my phone, I would probably pull up the specific patents and see what each is for.

You’ll note that transitional planes ARE NOT favored by Patrick L. Who knows how many of these planes were wantonly destroyed due to this page.

My own personal experience with them is I routinely use (and enjoy using) a pair of No.26 planes and sometimes use a Sargent joiner that’s equivalent to Stanley’s No.32 plane. I keep trying to put some of the other models to work, but with limited success.

It’s definitely worth noting, of the transitional planes that I use, it’s usually because they are (inexplicably) performing the task better than any other modern or vintage planes I have, and I have quite a few to choose from.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’ve never actually seen one in use so when we get together I would like to see, maybe you’ll convert me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS