New band saw owner looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Got a deal on a used Delta 14" and now need to get up to speed on Uses, blade use and sources, projects.
There was a catalog / book put out by Iturra design a few years back that was a great source of info on the band saw, It appears that he is no longer in business.

If anyone has this book or can recomend other sources for this,
I would be interested in borrowing or purchasing his catalog / book.
I also have some blades, new in original package to trade / sell that are to short for this tool
as it came equipped with the riser attached.

Also interested in any other advice from all you experts users of the band saw.
I checked out Youtube already - lots of good stuff out there. Especially , how to fold a band saw blade.
Thanks

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Hi Pete,

I checked around on the internet and found Iturra Design's new phone number. I called and they are still in business and are planning to have a website up by the end of this year. The new phone number is (904) 642-2802. Louis said that they did away with their toll free numbers about two years ago because so many customers had cell phones. Give him a call and he will send you his latest catalog. They are a great, incredibly knowledgable company. Enjoy your new bandsaw!

Amy

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats Pete :eusa_clap I know you have been looking for a long time. Anyway Tom toolferone is a great BS setup resource. Maybe you can entice over with an offer of lunch or adult beverage when he is in town.

BTW I have the 14" grizzly with riser and really like the 1/2 ' Wood Slicer blades from Highland Hardware. They have it in any length you need.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations on finally getting the band saw Pete. I know you were talking about getting one when we had lunch before the Thomas Day tour earlier this month. :eusa_danc I'll refrain from giving advice until I figure out what I'm doing myself. :gar-La;

Bill

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've found the Michael Duginske dvd's and books to be excellent on the topic.

Now I'm curious about this Iturra Design :)

Jim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For a simple dust collection, look at Wood Magazine a couple issues back(July 2010). There was a tip in there from yours truly, on DC for the band saw. For blades, check with Woodcraft Bands. I've been running a 1/4" bi-metal, 6 TPI, hook pattern on my saw for over twelve years now. Other than a 1/8" (for removing waste in dovetails), it's the only blade that has been on that saw. If saw doesn't have urethane tires, consider them. Hartville Tool is usually the cheapest. (They offer Woodnet members a discount.) When you replace the guide bearings, be sure and order sealed bearings. I use some that are made in China, for which I pay less than two bucks each. A new tension spring will be handy, if not already installed. To correct drift, reposition the blade on the top wheel. If drift is to the right, bring blade forward. If to the left, position blade towards rear of the wheel. Look at Mark's book and video, time well spent. Triangle Woodworkers has a copy in their library, for loan to members.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
THANK YOU !!
Amy for the info on Iturra Design . I called today and talked to Lou and gave him my first order for Urethane tires and the missing pin on the front of the table, plus he is sending a catalog.

Bruce for the info on blades, tires and the TWA books. What issue of Wood was your aritcle in ?
Searching the Wood Mag. web was no help.

Jim and Salem for the additional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS