New 55 gallon drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I'm looking for a source to buy a new or "re-conditioned", unlined, open head, 55 gallon steel drum.
The closer to Fuquay or Sanford the better.

I can find plenty of used ones, but some are lined, some had toxic stuff, ect.

This is for an "Ugly Drum Smoker", and I'm trying to avoid the time/headache of burning out, cleaning a used drum.

Thanks!

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I hear nothing but good things about them indeed, and I need an upgrade from my Brinkman, and I'm frugal, so........

jhreed

New User
james
ok guys, give up the info on the ugly drum smoker!! dont talk behind our backs. Share!!
Please
James

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I searched around the area and found a red lined drum and had it sandblasted (really clean).After you get the drum right it's a snap .Sand blasting was $40 (well worth it)

A UDS is a drum smoker made out of a clean (unlined ) 55 gal drum. Google uds smoker for all info.
Its an excellent way to cook low and slow for fantastic BBQ. PM if you have any Questions

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tom, do you need the lid? If not, I have a "drum opener." It works just like a can opener, only on a larger scale. I have a removable lid drum that I have had for several years (was going to use it with my cyclone) that you are welcome to. Bruce

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Yessir, I do indeed need a removeable lid for the smoker, it's critical for the units "tightness", as well as for ease or removal/replacing. Everything loads through the top on these gizmos.

drum.jpg

As long as the drum you have is steel with a lid, I can "burn out" any lining or residue, if theres any. I'd love to have it!
I've given up on finding/buying a "new" drum. They are available, but shipping is murderous, more than the barrel itself($75 for the barrel, $101.81 for ship!). Even found a super-snazzy braand new stainless stell one.....$900 plus shipping!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Not sure if you're still interested but I came across these....

These are supposed to be in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Stainless steel 55 gallon drums

Date: 2010-08-30, 3:22PM EDT
Reply to: sale-d5rnb-1927643056@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have 25 or so Stainless steel 55 gallon drums with lids.

$225 each

These are in Durham

Six 55-gallon steel drums - $10 (Durham, NC)

Date: 2010-08-27, 9:53AM EDT
Reply to: sale-eua7s-1921842865@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Six 55-gallon steel drums for $10/per barrel.

If interested, please call (919) 358-3080.

These have no lids in Raleigh....

55 gallon metal barrels - $20 (raleigh)

Date: 2010-08-30, 4:39PM EDT
Reply to: see below

I have two 55 gallon metal barrels with no lids. one is black, one is blue...$15 each or $20 for both. please e-mail, call, text if interested. I live in Raleigh near Walnut & Tryon.

Many thanks,
Tom
815-354-5154
ta6693@yahoo.com

keywords ... burn barrel drum fuel storage cold root cellar

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3kc3pd3o15V05X45S2a8ud281e03a139e1b0c.jpg
3n33o73le5V05Q15P0a8u5ca160c4d6021f66.jpg

HTH.
Brian.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Well, still no drum....but I did come up with this little gem...........

random006.jpg

I'm thinking it could be a suitable substitute for a 55 gallon drum.....plus, it was free, and I even got it dropped off at the house!!! Thing is mighty heavy so the drop-off was especially sweet! :icon_cheers Too heavy for my Honda, and my truck tranny is shot.
Search over, I'd say!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You won't burn that one out very soon.

On a related note; I'm looking for a BBQ grill rack made out of stainless expanded mesh reinforced with 1/2 inch stainless rod. The rack needs to be 24 x 48 and I need to recheck the inside dimensions of the pit.

Anyone want to do a little welding? Know a good scrap yard? As usual I'm looking to save money.

Of course you'll get some of the first testing off the grill.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Be cautious of using anything that is galvanized for a barbecue:tongue2: or smoker. Fire and heat will produce deadly toxic fumes when used with galvanized coatings. Once it is burned off, it should be safe.:kamahlitu

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I'm not sure if this guy still sells them, but on Hwy 401 in Garner there's a trailer/video rental place called Go Slow Trailer Rental (7324 Fayetteville Road) that used to sell barrels.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Oh, he's still there but I was not able to get up there to look before this tank arrived. He has barrels all over the place, and cooker rentals, and he builds some serious custom cookers as well!

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
I found one. Didn't cost me a dime. They even paid me to haul it off. It didn't even need burnin' out. The liner had already melted off!
hazardous_drum-3.jpg

I made mine with two lids:
BlackBetty_001.jpg

The chicken I smoked was a little "rubbery".
BlackBetty_0009.jpg

EUDS_0001.jpg

I even gave "her" a name:
BlackBetty_0001.jpg

BlackBetty_0006.jpg

Side table folds down out of the way:
BlackBetty_0004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors