New 3M sander ENDED

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
New product at an introductory price:

3M Xtract Electric Random Orbital Sander, 3/16” Orbit, Ergonomic, Lightweight, Central Vacuum, 110V

1654667905603.png

Last edited:

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
$400-ish... (tax..etc.) is a huge pill to swallow... Question is, will it be worth it to you, your hobby\profession\end result\time saved\health, etc., etc....?
I am sure I am missing questions, but you get what I am saying here.

I am a hobbyist, and it sure would be nice to add another fancy tool to my garage, but there is always my run down (and p00py) DeWalt ROS that needs a new loop pad, is ear piercing, creates a lot of dust, that I can use instead :D

Regardless, I signed up to be notified, since I "might" grab 1 when it is back in stock. :)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User

NOTE: We sold out all of our current stock in 2 hours following the launch of Stumpy Nub's excellent video. We have more on the way that will be offered at the current 30% off promotion price. Please click the "Email When Available" link in this listing to be notified when more are in stock.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
$400-ish... (tax..etc.) is a huge pill to swallow... Question is, will it be worth it to you, your hobby\profession\end result\time saved\health, etc., etc....?
I am sure I am missing questions, but you get what I am saying here.

I think this sander is aimed at the folks who might otherwise buy Festool or Mirka.

I am a hobbyist, and it sure would be nice to add another fancy tool to my garage, but there is always my run down (and p00py) DeWalt ROS that needs a new loop pad, is ear piercing, creates a lot of dust, that I can use instead :D

:D

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The Question to me is ........ is it better than Festool or Mirka. THe pricing is similar

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
The Question to me is ........ is it better than Festool or Mirka. THe pricing is similar
Appears to be by the reviews I've seen.

I've never understood the drop in quality from the sanders I used making doors at a factory to the retail consumer grade level. I've always been able to buy a jitterbug for work, but in a commercial shop we always had great air circ to get the dust out of the air (at least since the 90's). As a home/small shop there's usually not the great air filtration and most everyone has to rely on a crappy cloth bag to catch dust.

Just saying I welcome 3M upping everyone's game on sanders. Nice to see them enter the market as a game changer. Whether I can afford this sander today at introductory pricing, or more easily afford it or it's spawn (and you know this intro will spawn other home consumer offerings) it's just a welcome move to better tools.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I believe it is aimed at the professional market. I can't really afford it, but I hate my DeWalt that much and am looking at a full kitchen cabinet refinishing job.

FWIW, the canister dust collection on my Bosch works very well. Not as well as using the Fein vac, but less fighting the hose. Cloth bag on the Dewalt passes the most dangerous super fines.

Still looking for a lighter weight hose.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Note that the power switch is on the top of the sander. One complaint I've heard about that style is that you have to move the sander to your other hand after using it and before you set it down to make sure it stops spinning. But I've also heard that it is more comfortable to use with the power switch there.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User

The MSRP is very similar to the Festool RO 125 ($549), but the Festool has the dual-mode rotary/orbital feature and a more robust motor, 500w vs. 350 for the 3M. At retail price I think the Festool is the clear winner. The 3M compares more in features to the Festool ETS EC 125/3 ($439) which is an orbital sander only.

I think if 3M wants to be successful marketing this sander to hobbyist consumers they're going to have to continue to price it aggressively. It's also interesting that their 5" (125mm) and 6" (150mm) versions are just the same sander with a different pad where the body and motor of the Festool RO 150 are proportionally larger than the RO 125.

Echd

C
User
I have been very happy with my Bosch Get-65 5n. I got it on clearance for under $200. As a hobbyist I just cant see spending that much on a RoS. At that price point I'd go festool for resale value down the road if nothing else.

smurg

New User
Marty
The MSRP is very similar to the Festool RO 125 ($549), but the Festool has the dual-mode rotary/orbital feature and a more robust motor, 500w vs. 350 for the 3M. At retail price I think the Festool is the clear winner. The 3M compares more in features to the Festool ETS EC 125/3 ($439) which is an orbital sander only.

I think if 3M wants to be successful marketing this sander to hobbyist consumers they're going to have to continue to price it aggressively. It's also interesting that their 5" (125mm) and 6" (150mm) versions are just the same sander with a different pad where the body and motor of the Festool RO 150 are proportionally larger than the RO 125.
IDK about physical specs, but for the brushless Festool models, everyone on the FOG forum say the ETS EC 150/3 vs 125/3 is the same sander, at least internally. Most people buy the 125/3 since the 6" pads can be fit on, whereas the 150 won't take 5" pads. Is you want the 5mm orbit though, would need to buy the 6".

Not the same with their non-EC line though.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I bought a Festool/Mirka knockoff last year for 180.00 bucks
It has 5mm orbital motion and I use this primarily now, It works nearly as well with the the only thing weird is the on/off button configuration and no moment paddle.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I bought a Festool/Mirka knockoff last year for 180.00 bucks
It has 5mm orbital motion and I use this primarily now, It works nearly as well with the the only thing weird is the on/off button configuration and no moment paddle.
Can I ask where you got your knockoff?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Both Amazon and Banggood had them. I think I got mine from Banggood. The issue is the shipping cost from China I think Amazon had similar one (I assume they all come from the same factory as they all look the same) At the time Amazon wanted 240.00 and Banggood had for 159 + 45 bucks shipping.
Here is one similar to mine :R-O Sander Mirka knock off

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Both Amazon and Banggood had them. I think I got mine from Banggood. The issue is the shipping cost from China I think Amazon had similar one (I assume they all come from the same factory as they all look the same) At the time Amazon wanted 240.00 and Banggood had for 159 + 45 bucks shipping.
Here is one similar to mine :R-O Sander Mirka knock off
Thanks, much appreciated. Would you recommend one of these? I've always used fairly cheap Bosch sanders but my current one is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm thinking about getting something better rather than another disposable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS