Nesting Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Some time ago on another WW forum there was a lively discussion as to whether or not pocket hole screw system is "real" wood working. I happen to think it is and if the likes of the Shakers, Duncan Phyfe and all the rest had access to it, they would have used them. I had been wanting to build a set of nesting tables so this is what I came up with. There are no M & T joints just pocket hole screws. They are mahogany with rosewood cross banding and the medalion is satinwood with Matt at INLAY BANDINGs bendable bands around it.

1512.JPG

View image in gallery

147.JPG

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work there Larry!!!

Pocket screws do rock and the tables look super.

Very nice work, as always!

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice work on the tables Larry. Nothing wrong w/ pocket holes when used appropriately. :icon_thum

Bill

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
WOW, WOW, WOW! Beautiful work and craftsmanship! Thank you for sharing the pics.

Donn

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I question whether the Shakers would have used pocket screws, but there is no arguing with the outcome.

Those are some beautiful tables. Thanks for sharing.

jhreed

New User
james
amazing art. This is not wood work, but a work of art. I love pocket hole, cheap to get into and a short learning curve.
James

jpalmer

New User
Jon
I also like the border a lot.
One basic question:
Is the top also attached with pocket screws from the legs? Or is there some other support required to prevent wobble/racking?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The tables look great!

The Shakers would only have used pocket screws if they could drill them without power tools. Oh, wait...that's the Amish :>

But I think you're correct - Shaker craftsman were a very practical bunch...I think they would have liked pocket screw joinery.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I also like the border a lot.
One basic question:
Is the top also attached with pocket screws from the legs? Or is there some other support required to prevent wobble/racking?

Yes Jon the top is attached with pocket screws and there is a stretcher on the back of the two bigger tables and front and back on the smallest to help with racking. They are attached with pocket screws also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS