needing a gun stock refinished

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
A neighbor inquired about refinishing a gun stock. Unfortunately, I've been too busy to do anything in my shop for a long while, so I am unable to help him. But I said I'd see if I can find anyone who is looking for this kind of work. Here is a picture of the stock in question.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you his contact info.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 356

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
That's a Sheridan pellet gun. I have one as well.
2 pieces, the shoulder stock and the fore end pump handle.
Looks like he left it in a damp basement. Is he in a hurry? Only needs it before next squrrel season?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have one, mine also wears a scope. But this one has the peep sight too, I believe.

An easy way to refinish it is to sand off the old finish and apply "Tru oil". It should be near where the cleaning supplies are at a sporting goods store. I think it is a oil varnish mix. You just put it on a lint free rag and rub it into the wood. It creates a pretty durable finish you can renew if it gets damaged. Any oil/varnish mix should work for this or you could just use thinned polyurethane.

My Sheridan still works well but for close range work, I use a Crosman pistol with the butt stock because of it's peep sight. I tried the scope equipped Sheridan on a snake in the back yard and missed several times. The last snake I decided to take care of was hit in the head first shot with the Crosman. Peep sights are easier for those of us with older eyes than other metal sights.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Looks like he left it in a damp basement. Is he in a hurry? Only needs it before next squrrel season?

I don't know if he's in a hurry, but I know he doesn't have a basement :) I guess I should have him bring it by and get a better look at how much work it really needs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That'd help with several close up detailed shots. It's currently not a glossy finish in your pic but otherwise it doesn't look bad.

Why does your neighbor feel that it needs to be refinished?

I don't know if he's in a hurry, but I know he doesn't have a basement :) I guess I should have him bring it by and get a better look at how much work it really needs.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
That'd help with several close up detailed shots. It's currently not a glossy finish in your pic but otherwise it doesn't look bad.

Why does your neighbor feel that it needs to be refinished?

I'll ask that, too. He is sending the mechanism in for new seals, IIRC. So maybe he just wants to clean it up while it is apart.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a good reason too. Why not?

Why doesn't he do it with a little woodworking prep advice from you?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Maybe he could...dunno. He asked me to recommend someone to do it for him. I haven't found any shop time in past 3 years due to work situation. I've occasionally helped other people do this kind of stuff. And supervise/advise on three district-winning pinewood derby cars. All of which I could do with $15k less spent on tools and shop. Oops...is my frustration showing through? <sigh>

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I understand, but there aren't a lot of folks coming out of the woodwork yet to do it for him, even at a modest fee.

Maybe he could...dunno. He asked me to recommend someone to do it for him. I haven't found any shop time in past 3 years due to work situation. I've occasionally helped other people do this kind of stuff. And supervise/advise on three district-winning pinewood derby cars. All of which I could do with $15k less spent on tools and shop. Oops...is my frustration showing through? <sigh>

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It's hard to tell for sure from the picture but my guess is that all this needs is some sanding, by hand will work, followed by finish - which can be wipe on. Materials will cost very little but it will take some time. If you wanted to get fancier, you could use a stain or dye to darken the wood and reduce the sun bleaching that affects walnut. Many other things are possible, like checkering the stock, but I wouldn't. Without the checkering, I would hesitate to go to a slick finish like polyurethane - but that is purely a practical consideration. If appearance is a greater criteria than practicality and you like the look of poly, you could do that and the stock would be better protected. Wipe on poly works fine, it just takes more coats to get to an equivalent thickness of finish.

I would probably just hand sand it to 220 grit (starting at 100 unless there are deep scratches to get out) and rub some Tru-oil on it. That will darken it a little and make it look more like it did when new. The owner can easily do that themselves, it would be a good beginner project and something they can be proud of when they are done. Risk is very low as long as they are patient. Walmart sells the sandpaper and Tru-oil.

fredd3039

New User
Frankie
I am a gunsmith and I completely agree with JimD. He can sand that stock by hand in no time and then hand rub the stock with True Oil. He can watch a you tube video of the True Oil application process if he is not comfortable with it. I pour True oil onto my palm and hand rub the oil into the stock. Keep rubbing and rubbing until the oil gets tacky then stop rubbing and put the stock somewhere dry and let the oil cure for a while. Apply as many coats as you need to get the shine and thickness you want. Clean the True oil off your hands with mineral spirits.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have refinished, reshaped, and replaced stocks, have also replaced seals on several pellet rifles.

If you don't find someone I may be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS