need wood turner for a demonstration

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
My parents own a small heritage farm. They are having a farm day on April 24th. My dad asked about doing turning demonstrations. It will be a little sketchy for me. We have our house under contract so my shop is getting packed up. It wouldn't cost you anything and there would be space to display items for sale. My dad's place is in Hillsborough NC. If you are interested PM me. I will most likely be there at least to hang out. He has a HF lathe or you could bring one. When you aren't turning you could also play in the forge...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Hey David. How big is this farm day event?....what kind of turnout do the usually have?

crokett

New User
David
It's a 2 day event, Saturday and Sunday, They have a few hundred at the very least.

I was just reminded that I can't do it, that's the weekend of my wife's cousin's wedding.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
It must be April 25 and 26 if it's Sat and Sun. I have a small Jet lathe that's very portable. I might be able to be there to demonstrate! I'm not the best turner there ever was, but I can make chips and dust and roundy roundy thingys! I also have some logs in my driveway that I'd like to get removed. Maybe I can prep some of them and bring them along! I'm on the north end of chapel hill so not too far from Hillsborough. Maybe 5 or 6 miles to center of town.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Was thinking maybe an Outreach event ...one of the days anyway

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is the mix of people attending? Kids, adults, what? Would some hands-on - learn to turn projects be appropriate instead of just demos? Lot's of questions. Light sabers for the kids - we still have lots of supplies for that.

crokett

New User
David
Kids and adults. Their farm is part of a tour of small farms in the area. So they get people coming through all day. A few hundred is probably on the low side of an estimate. A hands-on would be great. I know my dad will have the forge open for anyone who wants to try it. Unfortunately I won't be there, I will be at a wedding. To be honest, I'd much rather be at the farm. :)

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
sounds like a good outreach opportunity. we should have some light saber parts ready to go for when that ambitious child steps up!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
David we would love to set up an Outreach event with your group. Please PM me if you are still interested

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I haven't heard any more about this event. Is it happening or not? I'm about 5 miles from downtown Hillsborough. I should be able to be there next Saturday, but can't be there Sunday.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Seems like there are not enough volunteers for the Outreach trailer to make a showing.

Is there a lathe onsite? Mine is too big to move and requires 220V.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
So I might just come by for a bit. BUT....what I've been trying to say is I have no clue when or where this event is going on. Must be all the messaging was in PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS