Need volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
OK, I think I'm going to go ahead and make the Dustroyer as a production item. Since I only have two saws in my shop, I need people willing to volunteer to take some measurements from their saw to help with templates. Participants will receive a free copy, shipping included, not a penny out of pocket.

For those unfamiliar, I started a thread about this a couple days ago. Here's a youtube link to the product in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9Bxa6JaUk

As you can see in the video, it snaps on and off in no time. Included is a hanger tag for the angle adjust knob - it reminds you to pull the Dustroyer before making angled cuts, and works really well at that. It's fairly big, so even if you dont look while you crank the knob, it bangs against your hand and generally serves as a good reminder.

If you want to help out and receive a free one, please drop me a PM with the model of your saw and your email address so I can send you the measurement template.

Obviously, I only need contractors saw owners. Also, you must have the dust guard installed, or be willing to install it correctly aligned before taking measurements. I'll keep the thread updated as people commit. Thanks to NCWW for providing the sample crowd...if all goes well maybe I can sponser via advertising once the site is up!

Measurements should take 10-15 minutes...less time then you would spend making one that's for sure!

Thanks!!!!!!! :gar-Bi

List of models already measured/reserved:
-Delta 36-472 (Thanks Bill!)
-Delta 36-979 (thanks Rob!)
-Delta 36-451X **Measurements RECEIVED** (Thanks Randy!)
-Griz 0444Z (thanks DaveO!)
-Jet JWTS 10CW2 LFR (708472)
-Jet JWTS-10JF **Dustroyer SHIPPPED** (thanks Dolan!)
-Powermatic 64A Left tilt
-Rigid TS3650 left tilt (thanks Gary!)
-Rigid 2412 (Thanks Chris!)
-Sears 113-298761 (Thanks Glen!)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll be measuring soon, as soon as I clean up the pile of saw dust behind my saw and under the outfeed table. I don't need a free sample, but will do it for the cause.

Dave:)

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I'll be measuring soon. I don't need a free sample, but will do it for the cause.

Hey...I need to test the template anyway, so you'll get a free one anyway pal! What kinda saw you got? Lemme know so I can send you the right file; it's different for right tile vs. left tilt.

Also, think I'm going to pull the link to the measurement doc so people don't measure without confirming that I need that model. Hate to see people double up the effort and watre time.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey...I need to test the template anyway, so you'll get a free one anyway pal! What kinda saw you got? Lemme know so I can send you the right file; it's different for right tile vs. left tilt.

Also, think I'm going to pull the link to the measurement doc so people don't measure without confirming that I need that model. Hate to see people double up the effort and watre time.

I've got a Griz 0444Z contractor saw, right tilt. It's a pretty popular saw with us cheap folks.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Bumppity bump...c'mon folks, I know there's a ton of other models out there that we own. Did I mention you get a FREE dustroyer guard?

In other news, I'm working on the website for this, but due to an SSL cert snafu it's delayed a couple days while they process a refund so I can get a reissue.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have the Ridgid TS 3650 and am eager to purchase one from you.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I have a Delta 36-675, I think. Unfortunately, my saw and shop, are about twelve miles from home so I can't just run out and check it. The models listed on my manual are:
36-649, 36-675, 36-678, 36-679

I have to assume that measurements from any, will suffice for all of the above. I'm happy to take the measurements for you. Though I still think I'm going to play around with the idea a little. Send me the file to let me know what measurements you need.

By the way, what dust guard?

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I have the Ridgid TS 3650 and am eager to purchase one from you.

Hi Tracy, thanks for that! I'll drop you a line as soon as I receive the template information back from Gary. I'm thinking of a discount for NCWW members since the idea was incubated here. Probably somewhere around 20% off. My initial price is likely to be $24.99, so it will be arond $20 for you :icon_thum

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Eric,

Great idea! I'd like to step in line for one - but I wont hold you to your "take some measurements - get a free guard" offer as I am sure I am one of only a handful of guys in the free world w/ my particular saw. I'd also be willing to pay more considering I've got alot mor open back to deal with. If you're game, shoot me a note.

Thanks.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
I'm willing to help - free never hurts, and when you're in production post a few on ebay or Amazon (thru a reseller??) where a few positive reviews would get a relatively large audience.
I've got a Sawstop Contractor Saw (gloat)
Cool looking product, and a great name!

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Looks like a great addition to my Delta contactors TS and I would be glad to buy one from you.

As an aside - I am very concerned about safety at all times when using my TS. I noticed in your video that you put your fingers directly on top of the board in which you are plowing your dado. And the dado is quite deep. If the board splits while being cut, your fingers will be taken directly into the spinning blades - not pretty. Years ago I saw a tip to save my fingers when plowing dadoes and thought it was very worthwhile so I followed it.

Go down to the BORG and find a 6" ceramic tile float - the kind that is rubber on the bottom. Typically these have about 1/2" or so of rubber material on them. It makes for a great gripping surface on the boards you are cutting. The handle gives you fantastic pressure and at the same time keeps you from accidentally putting your fingers in harms way.

May be asking a lot to do all that and then redo the video, which I am sure took a lot of work to do. But the example you set in your marketing of your new tool will do the world a lot of good.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
If the board splits while being cut, your fingers will be taken directly into the spinning blades - not pretty.

Jeez, I was looking at the motor/dust and not thinking - excellent point, and a marketing bonus

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I'm willing to help - free never hurts, and when you're in production post a few on ebay or Amazon (thru a reseller??) where a few positive reviews would get a relatively large audience.
I've got a Sawstop Contractor Saw (gloat)
Cool looking product, and a great name!

I Larry,

Hmm, I thought the sawstop already had kick butt internal dust collection. Surprised to her you could use one. In your opinion, is it necessary? I don't want to be selling snake oil here, and making them for saws that don't need it.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Looks like a great addition to my Delta contactors TS and I would be glad to buy one from you.

As an aside - I am very concerned about safety at all times when using my TS. I noticed in your video that you put your fingers directly on top of the board in which you are plowing your dado. And the dado is quite deep. If the board splits while being cut, your fingers will be taken directly into the spinning blades - not pretty. Years ago I saw a tip to save my fingers when plowing dadoes and thought it was very worthwhile so I followed it.

Go down to the BORG and find a 6" ceramic tile float - the kind that is rubber on the bottom. Typically these have about 1/2" or so of rubber material on them. It makes for a great gripping surface on the boards you are cutting. The handle gives you fantastic pressure and at the same time keeps you from accidentally putting your fingers in harms way.

May be asking a lot to do all that and then redo the video, which I am sure took a lot of work to do. But the example you set in your marketing of your new tool will do the world a lot of good.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest and the concerns you posted. I'm always working on the assumption that the board I'm cutting could break, and place my hands accordingly. If you look again, you'll see my right hand is to the left of the blade, so if the board does break I can keep it from kicking back up at me. As a full time woodworker, believe me, I'm not putting my hands at risk. I don't like push blocks because you get less precision and control out of them - personal choice.

However, I can definitely see your point about the video and demonstrating safe practices. I'll remake the video once I have time...probably won't be anytime in the next week or two, but I'll definitely make it happen before I start advertising this product in earnest and start getting a lot of views on the video.

Thanks again for making a great point :)

DavidF

New User
David
I have a Dewalt 746 Hybrid saw, does that count as a contractor saw? I am happy to measure if you need this model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS