Need volunteer work for teens around Raleigh in the next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My oldest is in a media students organization, Skills USA, that is having a competition where they have to produce a short video about volunteering and they have to participate. They had something lined up that fell through and are now desperately seeking an alternative. They are avoiding park cleanup because that is the most commonly done video in the competition, but that is the backup plan. The easiest time to get a few of them together would be on Saturday or Sunday, but I could get them to something after school.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
They could clean and or repair a disabled or destitute person's home.

habitat will take teen volunteers if there are responsible adults along to supervise.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Reading to the elderly in a nursing home or hospital. Lots of old people in nursing homes are just left. We used to to that as a Girl Scout thing.

CarvedTones

Andy
Reading to the elderly in a nursing home or hospital. Lots of old people in nursing homes are just left. We used to to that as a Girl Scout thing.
Hmmm... There is a retirement home we have taken cards to when the kids were younger. I may give them a call.

But keep the ideas coming...

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Andy,

I might be able to get something set up at the Chatham Habitat Restores in Pittsboro. Stocking, straightening, cleaning, helping at the sales counter, etc. Saturday store hours are 8 - 4. Let me know if there's an interest.

bobby g

dwminnich

New User
Dave
The food bank is always looking for volunteers and can handle groups. Check out foobankcenc.org if you're interested. They have slots on the week and on Saturdays.

--dave

Jason m

New User
jason
My wife and I are volunteers for JCAPL, a non-profit all volunteer group that helps unwanted animals. We adopt out cats and dogs at the Pet Smart at White Oak shopping center in Garner (corner of 70 and I-40). They hold an adoption event every Saturday and always need help. Let me know if this is something they would be interested in.

CarvedTones

Andy
I have PMed Bobby and Jason; probably one of those two will work if their policies on minors (age 17) volunteering are good. That's what was an overlooked detail in the first thing they had lined up.

Dave - Food banks are a great place to volunteer and my personal favorite; I have done things with various ones over the years. It's a nice simple idea - people who can afford more than enough food provide some and you give it to people in need. But they generally have planned activities and like more notice than I got ("Dad, we have to turn this in before Spring break!" :eek:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS