Need to Upgrade Bandsaw...You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Okay. I've been "making do" with my Shopsmith Bandsaw long enough. Time to upgrade. For its resaw capacity, 1-1/2 HP, and a simple 20 amp circuit requirement, I was considering the Rikon 14-Inch (10-325), but I got to Klingspor and the sale was over. I can pay full price anywhere...and they'll deliver. (There was no date mentioned in the flyer.)

So...anyone want to upgrade and have a bandsaw to sell with great resaw capacity? Or maybe you have a good recommendation for a bandsaw I should be considering.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Last year I was in the same type of situation. Missed the sale on Rikon 10-325.

I found that these saws go on sale on a pretty frequent basis.

I am glad that I waited about six weeks and the sale came around again. (Woodcraft)

(BTW...As an example Highland HW in Ga have it advertised @ $799 , you have to pay shipping.)

Great saw!

Wayne

Last edited:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Shopsmith saw & an old Delta (made in US) saw. Keep your Shopsmith saw. I made a powered stand for mine and keep a 1/8" blade on it full time. It's the world's fastest scroll saw. I sold power tools and I'm very familiar with the Rikon saw. Very good saw. It's slower speed setting will make it a good resaw machine.

POP

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Thanks, Pop. I plan to keep the Shopsmith, which I use MUCH more than I use my standalone scroll saw. I actually have two Shopsmiths - I bought the second in a batch of tools from a neighbor with failing eyesight a couple of years ago. I keep one set up as a jointer and table space, and usually have the other ready as a bandsaw. I get good slices on small (up to 5-1/2")...I just need more resaw capacity!

I have a Shopsmith saw & an old Delta (made in US) saw. Keep your Shopsmith saw. I made a powered stand for mine and keep a 1/8" blade on it full time. It's the world's fastest scroll saw. I sold power tools and I'm very familiar with the Rikon saw. Very good saw. It's slower speed setting will make it a good resaw machine.

POP

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
The Rikon 10-325 is worth waiting for. Just keep your eyes open and a sale with come along soon enough. I have that saw a love it. It will do everything and more that I ask of it.

Red

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Dan, As others have said, wait for the Rikon 10-325. You won't be disappointed.

Jim Roche

New User
jim
If you like old tools and have the room... There's a 20" Rockwell for sale on the Raleigh CL for $799.

Jim
old tool fan!

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have one...well it's in my shop. It's a big beast, but I don't think it's a monster on the resaw size a some of the modern saws. I will measure soon. Mine is also on the Delta badge, but it's the same saw.
That Rockwell is a bit more than I was looking for. Not dollar-wise, but size and work-wise.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Grizzly G0555 14" Bandsaw is currently on sale for $555.00 including shipping. No sales tax if shipped to NC and ordered directly from Grizzly. I don't know anything about the Grizzly except there are favorable comments about it on some woodworking forums. You'd probably want to add the 6" riser block kit for another $84.95 to take the resaw capacity from 6 to 12 inches (Rikon has 13").

I own the Rikon 10-325 which I purchased at Klingspor. Like others I've seen it frequently go on sale for $799 at both Klingspor and Woodcraft. Perhaps there will be a Memorial Day or Father's Day sale if you can wait.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Grizzly G0555 14" Bandsaw is currently on sale for $555.00 including shipping. No sales tax if shipped to NC and ordered directly from Grizzly. I don't know anything about the Grizzly except there are favorable comments about it on some woodworking forums. You'd probably want to add the 6" riser block kit for another $84.95 to take the resaw capacity from 6 to 12 inches (Rikon has 13").

If one wants the resaw capacity then one is better off with the Rikon 10-325 than upgrading a smaller 14" bandsaw with a riser block. The typical 3/4 to 1HP motors on traditional 14" bandsaws are adequate for their factory 6" height but very underpowered when you expand that capacity by an additional 6" with a riser block -- you can resaw with such but it is a far less enjoyable activity and much slower (and slower can lead to excess blade temperatures that reduce blade life and may scorch more sensitive hardwoods, such as Purpleheart). They also tend not to be built as robustly from a tensioning perspective and many can be stressed to their breaking point (in the tensioning system, not the saw itself) if one tries to adequately tension anything wider than a 1/2" blade for resawing (even though many advertise compatibility with 3/4" blades). The Rikon 10-325, by comparison, has 13" of factory resaw capacity, a 1-1/2HP (120V) motor, and can more than adequately tension a 3/4" blade during resaw (14" wheels are too narrow for most 1" resaw blades).

However, if this saw is intended for resaw exclusively then you may wish to consider upgrading to an 18-20" bandsaw -- however, their larger 2-3HP motors (which are better for heavy resawing of hardwoods) will demand a 240V circuit. The advantage of a larger bandsaw is not so much greater resaw height (they typically allow 10-12") but their larger motors, greater tensioning capacity, and larger and thicker (thus much stiffer) blade capacity, which make for better resawing of thick hardwood boards and slabs. However, the larger bandsaws are typically limited to a 1/4" blade as their narrowest possible blade (versus 1/8", or less, on the smaller bandsaws) and are poor candidates for any sort of fine scrolling work.

I have an older Rikon 10-345 18" (18-3/4" actual) bandsaw for resawing. It has a 12" resaw capacity, 2-1/2HP motor (240V), and can more than adequately tension the large 1" 3TPI hook-tooth blade I typically use for resawing most boards or slabs and will resaw such with ease. I also use it with a large circle cutting jig for making discs anywhere from about 6-8" up to nearly 6ft+ diameter using a shop made auxiliary table extension. However, while it excels at resawing it is not well suited for any serious fine scrolling work as the minimum suitable blade width for this saw is 1/4" (the maximum is 1-1/4", but with most any bandsaw you are best maxing out at one blade width smaller than their maximum rated to ensure adequate tensioning capacity is available and to improve band life). When using narrower blades (1/4" to 3/4") on such larger bandsaws, one can typically expect to enjoy much greater band life than on a smaller bandsaw (provided one does not overtension) because the bands are both longer (the wear is distributed across more teeth) and the bands themselves are subject to less flexing on the larger diameter wheels so they develop stress fractures more slowly than on a smaller bandsaw.

With most any bandsaw you choose, you will need to be prepared to upgrade the fence for resawing as most are woefully inadequate for any serious resawing (even on most larger bandsaws that are primarily intended for resawing). You can either make your own resaw fence, modify and improve the factory fence hardware, or opt for an aftermarket upgrade fence depending upon which solution suits you best. I also recommend mounting a good task light on your bandsaw to well illuminate the work area around the blade (both for setup purposes and to assist in following the line when following a scribed contour) -- I use a DeWalt model that is sold as an upgrade to DeWalt scrollsaws and bolted it to my bandsaw (it has a very stiff gooseneck that stays put nicely).

Whatever route you choose to go, you will most certainly enjoy your new bandsaw along with enjoying the benefits of being able to efficiently resaw and make optimal use of your wood stock!

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Thanks for the added encouragement and enlightenment, Ethan. I want a saw with great resaw capability, but not exclusively for that purpose. I use a lot of hardwoods, so a dedicated 1-1/2 HP motor will be a welcome boost in my shop, while a 10-12" resaw capacity and the advantage of dual speeds will be helpful as I prep slabs and boards for book-matched guitar tops and backs.

The Rikon 10-325 seems to fit within my budget, space, and power requirements, and gets rave reviews from part-timers like me.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I talked to Paul, the Raleigh store manager. He was kind enough to extend the sale price to me. I should be picking the saw up today. Then all I need is some pizza. (To coerce my son and grandson into help unloading and unpacking it!)

I own the Rikon 10-325 which I purchased at Klingspor. Like others I've seen it frequently go on sale for $799 at both Klingspor and Woodcraft. Perhaps there will be a Memorial Day or Father's Day sale if you can wait.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I unloaded and put mine together alone, but I'm used to working alone. Assemble it laying on the floor then tip it up onto the feet. Not too bad a job that way.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I unloaded and put mine together alone, but I'm used to working alone. Assemble it laying on the floor then tip it up onto the feet. Not too bad a job that way.

Thanks, Mike. Good advice. How big is the box? Will it fit easily in the back of my pickup?

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
You were right, Mike. Easy in at Klingspor's and easy out by myself. Now for the assembly. After a cool glass of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS