Need to Rent a Truck with a Lift Gate

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I need to rent a truck with a lift gate to move my tools from a storage unit to my shop. Enterprise truck rental has a 16ft box truck with a lift gate. Are there any other local truck rental options for in town use ?
Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used Penske before and they have clean trucks with well working liftgates as far as I've experienced.
+1 for a Penske rental and I got mine at Home Despot... close to home! (the home where I move to, so it was simple to return!)

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Resurrecting this older thread as I'm in need of a lift gate as well next summer (planning early). However, I wanted to fly into Springfield, MO w/ my son, pick up rental truck, drive to Grizzly Tools, pick up TS, BS, planer & jointer (3200lbs total) and drive to my new shop in NC (~900miles). I need to get these machines at the same time so I can get them setup and working as the house is being built so I can make stuff for the construction. I do not wish to mess around with shipping issues from USP or other damaging them or me having to coordinate with their local docks multiple times for pick up (won't have a lift gate service deliver to my garage due to house location.

Penske just told me on the phone they do not rental lift gate trucks for personal use (only commercial) but could make an exception however they do not allow their trucks to leave their region (so no one-way transfers). Penske did offer the option to rent a standard truck in MO and drive to Greensboro to transfer the machines to a lift gate locally but that's $1388 (+ fuel costs and local lift gate rental fee and commercial rental costs are much higher they said). This is crazy...

U-haul has no lift gate trucks, Ryder's website says their rental trucks are only for commercial use (not personal use like I need) and I didn't see a Budget rental near (also not seeing lift gates for those).

Enterprise (seems like only viable option at this point) wants $0.85/mile on top the $327 min charge...then I'll have to add the cost of diesel fuel and airfare. Making my idea much more costly than what was in my mind vs $1400 total shipping charges from Grizzly (+ the shipping & pick up drama of 4 machines...not counting my dust collector I'll need from Oneida).

However, if I pick up the Enterprise truck in WS then it's only $0.25-0.29/mi and lower rates so round trip w/o fuel cost it would be ~$900. I could rent a pallet jack locally (or buy one from Harbor Freight ~$400 use then return ?) ~1750mi round trip...

Question
Any other thoughts or shall I just grit my teeth and see what happens with UPS & Grizzly ?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
U haul trucks have a ramp. They also rent enclosed trailers. Rent the trailer local and no mileage fees. Make a ramp to offload from some 2x10s if needed. Horrible fright has furniture dollies cheap. Save airfare, buy gasoline. It's a wash.

tghsmith

tghs
User
I would go the the freight delivery,, it should be a major carrier,, any damage is their fault,, as long as the truck can get to your location you should be could good!!! due to the gates at work I had my milling machine drop shipped to a local terminal.. backed my truck up the set it with a forklift,, saved 65.00 extra fee..

tghsmith

tghs
User
have you talked to grizzly about buying 4 units at once? they may cut a deal on the shipping as things may be doubled up on the pallets

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I would imagine all is crated well for delivery. Find a local plumbing house or similar business with a loading dock and see if they would accept delivery for a drop ship of these items. Then do the lift gate option. Or see if anybody you know has a friend with a business that has a dock for delivery. The tools cost enough without the gas, flight, time and miles along with food and hotel expenses. Offer the savings to the business for the drop ship service. Only issue there might be them accepting Grossly damaged freight but these days shipping is pretty well tracked and you should be able to be there for delivery

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rented lift gate truck from Penske 3 or 4 times for the move from NC to SC. Rented commercial. Each time was one way. Just had to have an insurance form. Local Penske place in Greenville NC and dropped goods and truck at a storage center that rented trucks in Augusta GA. When I moved out of the storage units (at one time there was 3) into the house/hanger I rented from the Penske regional depot near Bush field. Never had a hassle once I was in the system.

Now I'm thinking about a temporary move out of the hanger for retro-insulation. Been hot out there this summer.

Last edited:

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Jeremy,

Transport ...

I'd suggest using a freight forwarder ... let them do the hauling ... or let Grizzly handle the transportation. I think that after you check with the freight forwarders (can't remember the name of one of the more popular LTL (Less Than a truck Load) coordinators ... but Grizzly probably can advise you on who to, or not to use.

Importantly, you can request they ship all four items on one manifest (thus on one truck), and require delivery of all manifest items at the same time. Note Grizzly may recommend they pick the freight company due to past performance.

Unloading ...

Arrange to rent a fork lift at your home for the day of delivery, unload from the truck, and move to where you need the equipment. From what I've heard, stay away from United Rentals ... Sunbelt is a good one. Request your favorite search engine to advise of "Fork Lift Rental" companies in your area.

Don't want to operate a forklift? Contact a local rigging/equipment moving company in your area. They'll show up with the equipment and expertise needed for a proper job.

These options sure beat the two+day drive in a 10 MPG truck (assuming you are at least as crazy as I am) from western MO (and the festivities of flying).

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Regards,

Rick

Roger45

Roger
Corporate Member
Consider having a Pod delivered to Grizzly let them load the pod with the tools and have the pod delivered to your house. I have no idea if that would work. Just a thought

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Many thanks for the thoughts & suggestions. I will call Grizzly and get their take on best options such as shipping all in one. I work at a place that has a loading dock so I can ask if it can be shipped here and I could rent the lift gate for one day locally. I can't have anything delivered to my home as the freight trucks aren't allowed due to only one way out and only has two cul-de-sacs (so I've been told).

The few good things still in my mind about it being worth the trip are the time w/ my son we'll never forget, visiting the Grizzly facility and they have a scratch & dent tool warehouse where I could potentially save even more and it looks like those tools are already assembled on a pallet meaning less setup time once I can back.

I wish there was an easy button but that's life and I greatly appreciate all of your input !

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I personally like Ricks idea. One other suggestion, Check out Uship. I use this sight to book freight deliveries. it has an option to hire private commercial haulers. I expect you could arrange for one with a lift gate to pick it up and deliver it to your site.

If you want to take the trip, Rent a truck without the lift gate, and hire or rent a fork lift to unload. You will not regret using a fork lift.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Thanks for the additional thoughts Wyatt & ScottM. I've been in touch with Scott Smith very recently and need to reach out to him today anyhow. I also like the idea of saving money by renting a standard truck, have Grizzly load it then figure out a different way of unloading at the house (maybe a neighbor has a tractor/loader w/ forks) not really up for hiring someone else for anything here in case they don't show (common issue these days it seems) then I'm in a fix.

Howie

New User
Howie
I need to rent a truck with a lift gate to move my tools from a storage unit to my shop. Enterprise truck rental has a 16ft box truck with a lift gate. Are there any other local truck rental options for in town use ?
Thanks
Used this for my 24" Oliver planer

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It sounds like it is worth every penny to pay for delivery. Considering the cost, time, trouble, and work. Have it delivered and be ready with helpers to get it in place. Although sometimes the guy(s) will help for cash.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors