Need to re-reed and refinish an old chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
My wife got an old chair from her grandfather's farm when he passed away about a year ago. She wants me to "fix it up". Not sure what I should do with it? :icon_scra I have posted a picture below. The chair appears to be made of pine with a woven reed seat. Most of the finish on the wood has worn off, and what's left appears to be a very dark finish. I want to keep the rustic feel of the chair, so any recommendations on what to do with it?

2010-05-15_14_36_44.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Tim - If it's structurally sound I'd just give it a good cleaning (I use a mix of Mineral Spirits, DNA, and Lacquer thinner. That covers about everything that might be on it.). Let it dry. Sand a bit if needed . Finish with a few coats of shellac and a coat of wax.

I have an article or 2 on weaving the seat if you want to try that.

pete

sjack

New User
jack
I could weave you a new seat but there may be someone closer to you. If not let me know.
jack

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have an old rocker with a similar seat that I've been "meaning to" repair myself but never got around to. Last week I found an older gentleman in Gibsonville that does nothing but chair seat repair, so I took it to him. Haven't got it back yet, but from what I saw of his work, I expect it'll look pretty good, and the price was reasonable.

Gibsonville is a long way from you, but if you decide not to do it yourself and can't find anyone closer, let me know and I'll give you his number.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors