Need to purchase miter saw

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
Good evening, I need to purchase a miter saw for a project at my sons house, trim work, baseboard, his house has all bull nose corners, ( rounded the way they build homes in Texas), don’t want any thing to heavy I am too old to lift, was looking at these 7 1/4 saws and wondering if any one has one and what they thought of them, thx for your help, RJ

JimD

Jim
Senior User
RJ,

Unless the trim is too big for it, I would get a simple 10 inch CMS, probably a single bevel. That was my first and I still have it and use it. I also have a 12 inch double bevel and it is occasionally important for greater capabilities but I trimmed just about my entire house, including crown, with that old 10 inch saw. Should cost around $100.

A smaller saw might be big enough - it would be best to check size of moldings versus capacity carefully. 7 1/4 is a good size for reasonably priced blades. I don't think a simple 10 inch is very heavy but a 7 1/4 is probably lighter.

I would avoid a slider unless you really need the capacity. They are heavy and you need a good one to minimize deflection and even then it is worse than a simple CMS.

Jim

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Look carefully at dimensions of the trim you will be cutting. You may have to go compound to 45 the baseboard. Don't know how they do the outside corners with all that round stuff.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have a 12" Dewalt slider.. GREAT saw, but I don't know that I need it, or want it... :p
It has come in handy, for A LOT of stuff, but as JimD said.. deflection, heavy...etc. I have set it up to be pretty accurate, but when it is all said and done, it will not be a perfect "90" degree, 45", etc., cut. Deflection and they are not meant to be 100%.. heck, even 99% (?) accurate. But for what you are looking to do.. I am sure it will be perfect.

When I was contemplating selling my slider, I was looking at the 7-1/4", 10, non sliding 12".. and from a lot of reviews, I decided against the 7-1/4". One of the reasons was the internals, "flimsiness" build quality, when it came to the 10"+

If I needed something for trim work, I would go 10" non sliding, but with a minimum of single bevel. Not sure how wide of trim you need to cut, but I would look at the max cut of the 10".. 90 degree and 45, and see if that would work for you.

Hope my opinions\thoughts help.

Jim Roche

New User
jim
I moved into a "new to me" house back in November and have not set up my shop yet due to working on some projects in the house. I have a 12" Bosch slider that I didn't want to keep lugging in/out of the garage to the patio every time I needed to use the saw. I broke down an bought a mobile saw stand by Rigid from Home Depot and I'm very happy with it. I leave the saw on the stand, roll it out and set it up when I need it, then fold it up to tuck back in the garage for next time.

I spent a little more $$$ ($200) than I originally wanted to but in the end I'm very satisfied with it. I'm hoping to start setting up my shop in the few weeks. If you end up going this route, make sure that you get one with wheels. I saw a lot of them on Craigslist/Market Place/Etc without wheels.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Skymaster

New User
Jack
AT LEAST a 10" saw, been trimmer for over 40 yrs, you will find out how much use you put on it :}:} Baseboard rounded corners, 22.5 work around the curve.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I wouldn't buy one that small.

I was in a similar situtation, since my Bosch is not portable, I bought a 10" Metabo for some minor trimwork. But only to discover it will not cut 4 1/4" or higher vertically, and all the cuts were bevel cuts, which is a major PITA - not recommended!

That said, I bought the Metabo b/c of the light weight and found it is a very good saw, very accurate. However, dust collection is non existent.

Had it to do over, for a few dollars more, I would have gotten a 12" Metabo (non-slider).

Regardless, of what you buy, check your baseboard, if its over 4" definitely check if the saw will take it vertically.

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
Thank you for all your help, dr bob, I was looking at the Metabo 10 non slider, seem like a good saw and has a 5 year warranty, will let you all know what I end up with, thx RJ

Last edited:

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Good evening, I need to purchase a miter saw for a project at my sons house, trim work, baseboard, his house has all bull nose corners, ( rounded the way they build homes in Texas), don’t want any thing to heavy I am too old to lift, was looking at these 7 1/4 saws and wondering if any one has one and what they thought of them, thx for your help, RJ
I have a 10" Delta that I'm selling for $30. It's older but used only as a hobby saw. Sorry to say it's a bit heavy though. But it may be a cheap way to solve your needs. I Just bought a 12" so it's an extra.

I'm located in Davidson, NC.

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
An update, I purchased a Ridgid 18 volt cordless 7 1/4, 24 lbs miter saw, thx for all your help, RJ

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS