Need to get a Solid Carbide Router Bit Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I just got a 1/4" down-spiral router bit that I intended to use for inlaying bandings. The bit is 2-1/2" long, and just a bit too long for use in my small palm router. I thought about just grinding it down, but it is solid carbide, so that wont work! Does anyone out there know of a way, or anyone who can shorten this thing to about 2 or 2-1/4 inches?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Matt,
Farris Belt and Saw resharpens router bits. They may be able to take care of you,

Farris Belt and Saw
235 Foster Ave (off S.Tryon between Clanton and Remount)
Charlotte NC, 28203

704 527 6166
1 800 237 9917

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would it work to shorten the collet end rather than the cutting end? I'd think that would be easier to do.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Is there any reason you can't add a 1/4" layer to the base plate of your router? This would effectively shorten the bit from 2 1/2" to 2 1/4". If you are using a guide bushing, then shim would have to be mounted between base and base plate. If not using guide bushings, then just double stick tape it to existing base plate.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
+2 on shim the router :} just put something under the router to takeup the height difference you need:wsmile:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I also would try and put a spacer plate on the router if possable,as one day you may need that extra length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS