Need to cut a 3/4" galvanized pipe...how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
In just a few minutes, I need to cut off a 3/4" galvanized pipe in order to make "curtain rods" for my wood storage shed. I don't know much about working with metal. Would I have anything that would work to cut this?

I do not need to thread the end that is cut.

I have a grinder for some reason since I really don't know what you do with it.

I also have a hacksaw.

I have a Dremel rotary tool with cut-off wheels.

I MIGHT have a metal cutting blade for my circular saw.

As far as I know, that is the limit to my metal-working tools.

Would any of these things work?

Searching the Internet provided little help.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would use the hack saw and then grind the end if it is too rough. If the pipe is over six feet long you may need a brace in the middle to keep it from sagging.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
You can use the grinder if you have a metal cutting grinder wheel for it. Metal cutting wheels are available at the BORG or HF if you have one close by and they aren't that expensive. I don't think the Dremel will work very well on that size pipe.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree a hack saw is a reasonable low cost option. If you have a sawzall type saw you could get a metal blade. It would be faster and easier.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan,
Take it into Lowes and ask them to cut it for you - they have a Rigid pipe threader and cutter!

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Susan,
Take it into Lowes and ask them to cut it for you - they have a Rigid pipe threader and cutter!

That is the best option assuming Lowes will do it for you (HD is another option) but oftentimes, it is hit or miss on whether they will cut something you bring back into the store. I brought a piece of plastic back to Lowes to get cut (I had purchased it at Lowes a week earlier) and the clerk I asked to cut it refused to do so claiming it was against OSHA regulations. She finally did it after arguing with her boss, the store manager, about it.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks, everyone. Turns out I had a metal blade for my recip saw. It cut pretty easily and now my curtains are up. Woo Hoo! Next, fix the leaky roof!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS