Need to Buy or Make a Lathe Light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really need one of the corded ones. I have a battery powered magnetic base LED lamp with goose neck that works pretty well. The problem is it doesn't turn itself off. And its owner keeps forgetting. Another 3 AAA batteries down the drain.

jgt1942

John
User
I happened to get a highland woodworking email today and they seem to have a similar light for much less: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/flex-arm-magnetic-led-work-light.aspx

I've attempted some research and here is what I have found so far.
  1. It seems that the light is made in China but I was not able to determine what company is making the light.
  2. Different websites that is selling the light (I'm assuming the lights are the same if they visually look the same.) reported different values for the light output (If it was not stated on the website I requested the lumen output). This should be measured in lux ([FONT=arial, sans-serif]unit of luminescence and luminous remittance, measuring luminous lux per unit area. It is equal to one lumen per square meter.) I think this is measured at a distance of 1 meter between the light source and the area it is striking. Watts is what we in North America normally use to rank the light output and it is really more of a measure about how much energy the light is consuming not how much luminescence is being projected.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]IMHO the length of the flexible shaft is important if you are going to use it on a lathe. I set mine on the top of my headstock and most of the time because of the long flexible shaft it is able to throw light where I need it. I almost never set it on the bed. Depending on the size of the lathe you have this would impact the placement. I have a Nova lathe and this limits me to something less than 12" dia and less than 24" long. Currently my turning is limited to small pieces. If I were to turn something large I'd have to move the light to a different position, e.g. closer to the tailstock. I'm sure my needs will change as I increase my skill level.

Good luck in your quest to find the best solution. This of course (the best solution) will vary for different people. :wsmile:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K.
so I came up with the Jansjo light thanks to C. Schwarz, but I had intended to get one the next time I was coming back through Charlotte...
So I stop and wander through the maze that is IKEA... and find the lights - I grab up my $9.99 light and head for the checkout...

Every time I have been there I always stop at the "As is section" to see if there are any "real wood table tops or other paraphernalia I can re-purpose...

Low and behold - what do I find?

light1.jpg

Yea, it is a little different than the Jansjo light, but it might be better...

light_price.jpg

AND for $3.00 how could I go wrong? :cool:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found that LED light at Peachtree for a buck less and free shipping - ordered one. I'm also tempted to mount something on a swing arm to the wall. The newer LED bulbs can be placed in most lights made for incandescents with much brighter light and less heat. We've been replacing a lot of the compact fluorescents with them due to the instant on and higher light levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors