Need some slabs dried

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
Does anyone know where I could get some 12/4 oak slabs dried? Preferably close to Gaston County.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
How long have they been milled? Usually 12/4 oak is air dried for 2-3 years before going into a kiln.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Every species of wood has a targeted maximum drying rate based upon species, thickness and moisture content. Oak is pretty much the slowest drying common species in North America.

The kiln schedule for 12/4 white oak is .4% mc reduction per day. A load of green 12/4 WO therefore requires at least 180 days in a kiln to dry without severely damaging the lumber. Red oak can be dried slightly faster - around 165 days for 12/4 in ideal conditions.

It is neither practical nor cost effective to kiln dry thick oak from green, therefore 99.999% of the time it is air dried for multiple years prior to being placed in a kiln to finish it off and sterilize it.

If you try to dry thick oak too quickly it will case harden and further drying stops until the case hardening can be reversed.

The other .0001% of the 12/4 oak is dried in a vacuum kiln, but that is not cheap or readily available.

Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Scott's advice is spot on! Some things just can't be rushed if you want a premium finished product!

:thumbs_up

Every species of wood has a targeted maximum drying rate based upon species, thickness and moisture content. Oak is pretty much the slowest drying common species in North America.

The kiln schedule for 12/4 white oak is .4% mc reduction per day. A load of green 12/4 WO therefore requires at least 180 days in a kiln to dry without severely damaging the lumber. Red oak can be dried slightly faster - around 165 days for 12/4 in ideal conditions.

It is neither practical nor cost effective to kiln dry thick oak from green, therefore 99.999% of the time it is air dried for multiple years prior to being placed in a kiln to finish it off and sterilize it.

If you try to dry thick oak too quickly it will case harden and further drying stops until the case hardening can be reversed.

The other .0001% of the 12/4 oak is dried in a vacuum kiln, but that is not cheap or readily available.

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Scott
Scott Smith is the MAN. Scott knows oak like no other person I know. Lord knows Scott has dried a little bit of oak for me in the past and it has always come out top notch.

Scott also maintains a ultra high level of integrity. Honesty speaking... when Scott talks you can basically take his words to the bank because they are the truth based on facts. Just to stroke Scott's ego a little... You'll also be hard pressed to find a more honest guy. But Scott really doesn't have an ego presay he is also very humble to boot.

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tony, all wood can be subject to honeycomb if died too fast, and in particular red oak.

Jeff, thanks for the kind words!

Scott

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
Thanks for the info Scott. It's always an eye opener to realize that I don't know enough to know how much I don't know :confused:.

12/4 red oak slabs- sticker stacked and awaiting mother nature to do her part.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks for the info Scott. It's always an eye opener to realize that I don't know enough to know how much I don't know :confused:.

12/4 red oak slabs- sticker stacked and awaiting mother nature to do her part.

FYI don't tarp your stack. It's best to put something solid over the top, such as old metal roofing, but the sides need to be exposed to air flow. A shade screen material on the sides is beneficial in the summer.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
FYI don't tarp your stack. It's best to put something solid over the top, such as old metal roofing, but the sides need to be exposed to air flow. A shade screen material on the sides is beneficial in the summer.
+1 and it helps to make sure your stack is level and up off the ground by 4 or more inches. Best to stack on a cement slab or crushed stone. Also if you surround your stack with a layer of rock salt or DE (diatomaceous earth) you'll be amazed how it keeps the wood munching bugs off your lumber stack.

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors