Need some NIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hi folks,Anybody know where I can get some nice NIP don't care how I get it,beg borrow,steal buy,trade, hee hee seriously folks If anybody knows where I can get some,please let me know.

Thanks Ken

:gar-Bi

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
In the late 1950s a trial shipment of Norfolk Pine logs was sent to Sydney plywood manufacturers in the hope of developing a timber export industry for the Island. Although the plywood companies reported excellent results the industry was deemed not sustainable by the Norfolk Island Advisory Council who decided to reserve local timber production for use on the Island. The timber is good for woodturning, and is extensively used by Hawaiian craftspeople.

As its vernacular name Norfolk Island Pine implies, the tree is endemic to Norfolk Island, a small island in the Pacific Ocean between Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia. The genus Araucaria occurs across the South Pacific, especially concentrated in New Caledonia (about 700 km due north of Norfolk Island) where 13 closely related and similar-appearing species are found. It is sometimes called a 'star pine', due to its symmetrical shape as a sapling, although it is not a true pine.

What do you need the NIP for? Planning on doing some Hawaiian crafts??? Inquiring minds want to know!!! ;-)

pete

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'm glad somebody cleared that up. I was worried that our cats had somehow realized that I read this forum regularly and decided that they should get an account.

K

Rob

New User
Rob
It's also grown in FL now, I have two blanks I won at a turning symposium that I haven't got to yet. The branches grow all the way down to the ground, so makes for interesting turnings.

Last edited:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I want to turn bowls and possably some vases,but I do have one person in mind that I want to make a bowl for.There was a fellow in FL ( never met him) but kept telling me he had a bunch of it,last yr,but he just disappered and never got back with me on it.
Ken

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Glad to see you back on NCWW Ken!
The only NIPs I've ever seen are about 3ft tall in a pot.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Yeah,we got one of those in FL,I figure bout time I hit 90 it will be big enough to make a nice thimble:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS