Need some help making heavy duty cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I have an on-going project where I made several thick tops for flip top tool stands. Two turned out fine, but two turned are out of square, and my saws (Ryobi bt300 table saw and Grizzly track saw) are not robust enough to make a good straight cut to square things up. I have tried and seem to be making things work. I wanted to see if anyone might have a heavy duty saw in the Cary area that would be willig to help me out. I am willing to compensate for some help.

A heavy duty sliding table might do the trick, but the tops are approximately 4 layers of of 3/4 thick plywood about 24 x 24, so pretty heavy and will tip over my ryobi table saw. Not sure if these are too heavy for a sliding table saw.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bring it on. My TS can handle that, it has Austrian stallions not Asian ponies

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
He bought one that is powered by 2 singer sewing machines Greg........lol

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
FWIW sliders are pretty robust when it comes to handling weight. Mine can easily cut four (stacked) 4x8 3/4" MDF sheets all at once. Rough math = ~400lbs. They're designed to cut sheet goods as large as 5x12 for the biggest saws.

K

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
From what I remember, my Grandmother's singer was more heavy duty than my ryobi.

And the ryobi does have a sliding table that attaches with a couple of clips. It was not deep enough for this job and basically popped off when i tried to put the piece on it. One day I will have a bigger saw.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
I have a 3 HP Unisaw with a 52" Biesemeyer fence that I am putting up for sale soon if you are interested in something like that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 3HP SawStop Cabinet Saw that I've used to cut 12/4 Hard Maple before. It can likely handle the task and I've got the plywood blade on it right now. I should be closer to you than Phil if you don't really need a slider - mine is not. PM me if you want to try and bring them by.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I have a 3HP SawStop Cabinet Saw that I've used to cut 12/4 Hard Maple before. It can likely handle the task and I've got the plywood blade on it right now. I should be closer to you than Phil if you don't really need a slider - mine is not. PM me if you want to try and bring them by.

Ken: Thanks for the offer. I actually need to get back to Phil's shop to pick up something I left there at a workshop.

Jim: that sounds like a nice saw, but I am not looking to make a purchase right now.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Sounds like Phil has you sorted, but a heavy-duty RAS will make the cut as long as you can accept having to flip the work (a 24" cut on a RAS is rare).

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS