Need some help identifying this tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Growing in my front yard. It's leaves are like those of a black walnut tree; however it's bark is smooth. I've tried some of the internet ID keys with mixed results. Never had any sort of nut on it. It's 60+ feet, peppers the yard with root suckers, and is flowering right now - yellow-green things way up there, can't get close enough to take a pic.

Ailanthus, maybe? Thanks for any insight.

-G

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tree of Heaven - Ailanthus altissima. A big freaking weed. Kill it while you still can.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All wood is good for something. But with that tree's fast growth rate you are going to end up with very bland wood that isn't very stable
http://www.forestprod.org/smallwood06becker.pdf

The biggest problem is the comparison to it's growth and value in it's native land, China. The climate between China and the eastern US is very similar except for the winters. Winters in China are much colder, and can help to control the growth of these exotic species that they keep offering to us.
Think Kudzu :BangHead:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, is this one of those species that everyone was trying to 'farm' years ago when woodburning stoves & heaters became the rage?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, is this one of those species that everyone was trying to 'farm' years ago when woodburning stoves & heaters became the rage?

I doubt it. Those were most likely Pawlonia,or Catalpa. But the fast growth of Ailanthus could lend it to firewood and charcoal production.
Either way that is about all it is good for...burnin' :kamahlitu

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Growing in my front yard. It's leaves are like those of a black walnut tree; however it's bark is smooth. I've tried some of the internet ID keys with mixed results. Never had any sort of nut on it. It's 60+ feet, peppers the yard with root suckers, and is flowering right now - yellow-green things way up there, can't get close enough to take a pic.

Ailanthus, maybe? Thanks for any insight.

-G

That my friend is a tree from China (it's an exotic weed) :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS