Need recommendations for good birdhouse plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckjohn

New User
John
Hey guys,

Starting a project at work to be a little more Environment and Wildlife friendly...

One idea was to mount various types of birdhouses around the property to provide homes for those wonderful insect eating friends (and maybe Bats too...)

So... I would appreciate suggestions on where I can get tried and true plans for building houses for the various flavors of birds that we see in NC and SC...

I am thinking:
Wrens and Chicadees are pretty common, and their small hole boxes should be pretty simple
Bluebird and songbird boxes too
Purple martin/swallow boxes -- we have plenty of them living up in the beams... and want them to go outside ;)

Also.. We have a pond, and have a family of geese that returns yearly. There was some interest in making up a nesting platform for Geese and maybe a Duck box or two.

I am probably going to head this up, so I would appreciate any info you care to share.

Thanks

John

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I have a great book titled "The Bird House Book" by Woods and Schoonmaker. Here is a link to the book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Bird-House-...temQQimsxZ20091020?IMSfp=TL091020017005r25503

It has a two page table listing the bird species, house dimensions, hole dimensions, height above ground, tips, and refers to plans in the book. It has basic houses as well as more unique ones like diners, totem pole houses, log houses, cupola houses, villas, and of coarse mansions. I also has some neat feeder designs. It also discusses materials, construction techniques, design considerations, and unwanted guests. Good luck!

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors