Need RAS blade suggestion ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey All,

I would like a suggestion for a 10" blade (crosscut) for a Craftsman radial arm saw, I've been told to use a negative grind. I've used the saw for years and have fought the other blades the whole time. I am looking for areasonably priced blade. Thank you all for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Jimmy

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Yes, definitely use a negative hook (5 degrees). I have a Craftsman RAS that I have used for over 20 yrs. I have only had a Forrest blade on it, and in all that time I have had it sharped (by Forrest) once. The problem is the thickness of the blade. Recently I purchased the Freud LU91 thin kerf that is designed for a sliding compound miter saw. I am very impressed with it, and it is much cheaper (about half).

I like a RAS because it can cut a wider board (12"), whereas a miter saw, unless it is a 12" sliding miter saw, can't cut that wide. One thing, I spent about 1/2 day "truing" the saw so that it cuts perfectly square. I NEVER change that 90 degree angle. If you need to cut other angles, make jigs and use them to cut the angle desired.

Hope this helps.
Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jimmy, I use a Hitachi 310878 40 tooth, ATB neg. angle blade that I got at Lowes just down the street. It was about $30-40. I generally use my RAS for only rough cross cuts on long/wide stock and as a dedicated dado saw. I get nice clean cuts with it, and it doesn't want to climb towards me, but I am not looking for perfect finished cuts either.
MTCW,
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. If I need to make smoother cuts at a later date I'll buy a second blade. Right now all I plan to use the saw for is 90 deg. cuts and dadoes.

Thank you,

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS