Need pine cheap

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need some 1x4 and 1x10 or 12 for developing student projects.
Any ideas on alternate options given the high prices in chain stores now?

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I need some 1x4 and 1x10 or 12 for developing student projects.
Any ideas on alternate options given the high prices in chain stores now?
There is a guy on face book named Jeff wood will probally cut you a deal. if you call him and tell him what it's for he may give you some. last time I was there he was buring 2nds to fuel his hot water heater

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Mike Davis are there any large corporations that ship things near you? Sometimes they pay to discard pallets... (Shipping crates, not forklift pallets...

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I went in Lowes a few days ago. Looked at the price of 2X4s and got sticker shock. $6.50 DANG! What happened to the $2 or $3 studs? I have a next door neighbor who sells building materials wholesale. He said it could take up to 2 years for the price to come back down. Not what we want to hear.

Pop :eek:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Chain stores are more convenience stores and thus charge convenience store prices. $2.50 per board foot for trashy pine is a little steep. Sawmills (large or small) should have poplar for way less than that. I guess the down side there is that you may have to work the stock down to 3/4" or whatever.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Don't blame the borg for this.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Don't blame the borg for this.

I’m not blaming anybody, I just want to help my students. They don’t need expensive lumber for beginning projects. They should be able to mess up and start over without fear.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Kids learning projects, step stool, tool tote, flower box, cheese board, keepsake box, hanging wall shelf, etc.
The kids will make from my examples.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Aspen lumber

Aspen wood is white and soft, but fairly strong. It is fine grained, uniform in texture and generally lacks a distinctive pattern. Closely related to Poplar. Aspen is a great all purpose wood and good for beginner woodworkers. Common Names: Aspen, Bigtooth Aspen, Populus grandidentata.

Sounds promising...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS