Need material suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
I am having a new heat pump installed in a couple of days. I want to put down 4" tall landscaping blocks first and then have the preformed pad put on top of the blocks. What would be a good material to put under the landscaping blocks to make sure they don't shift or sink. I bought a couple of bags of pea gravel, but after thinking about it, that might be other materials that would be a better choice.

The reason I need to put down the blocks is because the current area has sank down. At some point I am going to have to regrade the area for better drainage away from the house and with the blocks and pad, that should raise it up about 7 inches from where it is now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bill M.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Generally when I need to fill an area within a retaining wall or create a footer for the blocks to be set upon, I use Crusherun/ABC/Road Base gravel. That is basically #57/67 gravel with screenings. It is very angular and won't slide around like the rounder Pea-gravel will, and the screenings or fines will help to fill the pore space between the gravels. You should be able to get it at any bulk Ldscp. supply yard. For the small quantity you need, you might be able to load it yourself for very cheap.
Often I find that the drainage from the condensate drain is dumped right at the base of the outside unit. At a rate of ~15 gallons of water a day that can quickly saturate the soil around the unit and cause settling. I would also consider running the condensate drain far away from the area, possibly to an area that would benefit from the extra water.

MTCW,
Dave:)

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks Dave. Where would I find this Crusherun/ABC/Road Base? Do they sell it in small quantities? I don't need very much.

Thanks for the tip on the condensation drain. I'll mention that to the installers.

Bill

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know any suppliers in the Winston-Salem area, but you should be able to find it at any place that carries bulk mulch or soil amendments or at a gravel quarry. Your best bet for a small quantity would be the bulk landscape supplier. You might be able to load it yourself into a truck for just a few bucks. You'll probably only need a ½ of a cubic yard or .8 ton or possibly even less depending on the size of your pad and how tall the retaining wall will be.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS