Need input on problem with wood allergies

DLC

New User
Daniel
Hey guys,
Unfortunately I'm discovering that have wood allergies. Initially I thought it was just lacewood (no big loss) but now I'm reacting to mahogany, which is disappointing. My reactions are severe but not life threatening (swollen eyes, extreme itchiness for days, etc). I wanted to know if anybody else deals with this and what measures you take to allow you to keep working with woods without setting off your allergies?
Thanks, Daniel in Durham

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I bought a respirator mask with replaceable cartridges from Klingspors; it helped me but maybe you've already tried that.

DLC

New User
Daniel
I bought a respirator mask with replaceable cartridges from Klingspors; it helped me but maybe you've already tried that.
Yep, I've got a N95 mask with replaceable cartridges, probably pretty similar. I'm wearing it now when I use power tools on the mahogany, though I'm not sure how long to keep it on after I finish with the tools (ie, how long the dust stays in the air). I also don't know if the allergic reaction is mostly a breathing the dust issue or whether it also involves handling the pieces.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Nose and eyes probably. I installed an ambient MERV 13 air handler and use a good 3M respirator to supplement the dust collector ( HEPA) and MERV 13 filters on my split system. Breathing the dust will kill you even if you are not allergic.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
My response was contact dermatitis - I ended up with a rash where the dust settled, around my neck, arms, hands and face. I never had a systemic reaction although that fate might have awaited me if I continued to use lacewood.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thankfully the only reaction I've had is Silky Oak (Australian wood that looks similar to lacewood but not related). It was a bowl i was turning, and I was wearing my respirator. Wasn't sure at first what it was, had to go to the doctor. Got an Rx for steroids and that helped calm it down. Only realized that it was the culprit when I was researching it before shipping it off and found many cases like mine. Haven't touched it since, despite requests. It was a beautiful bowl, though!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yep, I've got a N95 mask with replaceable cartridges, probably pretty similar. I'm wearing it now when I use power tools on the mahogany, though I'm not sure how long to keep it on after I finish with the tools (ie, how long the dust stays in the air). I also don't know if the allergic reaction is mostly a breathing the dust issue or whether it also involves handling the pieces.

Another thing I did was to buy a Wen air filtering system, and hang it from the ceiling. All the air filtering system is a fan to pull the air through the box, and an outer replaceable filter, and an inner filter to catch any particles making it past the outer filter. Every time I'd walk into the shop, even if I hadn't been there is several days, I'd begin to cough. The first time I walked in after running the dust filter, I noticed no irritation! It works! The Wen can be found online through Amazon and is half the price of the lowest price brand name air filters, has 3 fan speeds, and you can easily set it to run for an hour--3 hours after you leave the shop. The remote control that comes with it makes all of the above easy work. So if you don't have an air filter, strongly consider one for your health's sake.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Another thing I did was to buy a Wen air filtering system, and hang it from the ceiling. All the air filtering system is a fan to pull the air through the box, and an outer replaceable filter, and an inner filter to catch any particles making it past the outer filter. Every time I'd walk into the shop, even if I hadn't been there is several days, I'd begin to cough. The first time I walked in after running the dust filter, I noticed no irritation! It works! The Wen can be found online through Amazon and is half the price of the lowest price brand name air filters, has 3 fan speeds, and you can easily set it to run for an hour--3 hours after you leave the shop. The remote control that comes with it makes all of the above easy work. So if you don't have an air filter, strongly consider one for your health's sake.
I have the exact same machine and it's plenty powerful for my small shop. I run it all the time when I'm in there and then will set the timer for 1-2 hours when I leave, depending on how much dust I made.

I just recently had a contact dermatitus reaction to freshly cut wild cherry. I get a mild reaction to sapele. I also wear a respirator and have an air filtration and dust collection system.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The Mahogany reaction is pretty common - Get a respirator with hepa filters. Make sure you have an intake and exhaust fan system in the shop. Set up slightly offset from each other, in other woods not centered in each wall but offset. Figure your room cu ft volume. Then aim for 6 exchanges an hour. The would be for a 5000 cu ft room moving 30,000 cu ft /hr. Or 500 cu ft fan . That is a good basis start. Having the exhaust fan slight more powerful than the intake will provide a negative atmosphere room which help route dust better. That is a start. This is how we set testing labs up albeit it is a closed hvac system, but it can be done in any setting, doesn't have to be sophisticated .

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm somewhat allergic to walnut, I get itchy when it contacts the skin. When I'm cutting a lot of it, I first clean the shop. The less dust there is, the easier it is for the air filter to keep up. I wear long sleeves, and a 3M half mask respirator. Dust collection is a must. I have a decent sized machine with 6" duct work, and a shark guard with 4" port over the blade. All that helps, as does taking a shower afterward and changing clothes.

If your shop opens up to the outside, consider putting a large fan behind you to blow the away from you. Not fun in this heat, but neither are allergies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS