Need info, installing a Byrd Shelix head on a Hammer A3-31

windfall

New User
RT
The documentation is super helpful should I decide to go for it, many thanks for putting it together John.

The folks at Felder have me a bit concerned about getting tables aligned with a new cutter head, they claim it will be extremely challenging and why they don't offer the cutter head separately/non factory installed.
I did have to tweak the table alignment when I first got the machine and it took a long time to dial it in. Hesitant to have to do that again, but I sure do want the byrd head....

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
please, can the attachment in post 10 be placed in the Resources forum.

jgt1942

John
User
The documentation is super helpful should I decide to go for it, many thanks for putting it together John.

The folks at Felder have me a bit concerned about getting tables aligned with a new cutter head, they claim it will be extremely challenging and why they don't offer the cutter head separately/non factory installed.
I did have to tweak the table alignment when I first got the machine and it took a long time to dial it in. Hesitant to have to do that again, but I sure do want the byrd head....
I did NOT have any issues installing the Shelix head, however be aware that there are differences in the A3-31 depending on the year of MFG. I did a quick check on the alignment after installing the new head and it looked good to me. However, sometime in Jan my son is going to help me double-check everything. I just did a quick check and I think the head is a VERY small amount low. At this time I do have an issue with the feeder roller and it needs to be adjusted. It does not apply enough pressure to always draw the board through and often I need to push it through. I've waxed the bed thus there should not be any issues with the slickness. The past couple of months I have been using it a lot and think I also need to rotate the cutters. The Pecan wood I ran through did not feel as smooth as I think it should,

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Mark, Hammer recommends against any aftermarket head and does not offer their Quiet head as an upgrade. You can get the Quiet head only when purchased with the A3 unit. They want you to purchase a new machine.
Thats just poor customer service.

jgt1942

John
User
please, can the attachment in post 10 be placed in the Resources forum.
Gene, is this something I should do? I have no objection.
I managed to determine how to do it. I had a difficult time determining how to attach the PDF. If I did something wrong, please let me know.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I managed to determine how to do it. I had a difficult time determining how to attach the PDF. If I did something wrong, please let me know.
John, you did an excellent writeup of your process. You attached and uploaded perfectly.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
John, I can only repeat the word "WOW", your documentation is extraordinary; but given the complexity of the upgrade you would have to have extraordinary determination to attempt the task! I recently upgraded my DeWalt 735 to a Byrd cutter-head, it was child's play compared to the Hammer machine. Thank you for posting, I am sure your effort will prove to be a valuable resource!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have to do? - No!
Helpful for others to do? - I'm thinking yes. At least I think it would make a great resource.
And, thank you for doing this.
Sorry for the delay, I'm been traveling and wifi challenged.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors