Need Help with Perfromax 16-32 conveyor motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Last year I got a used performax 16-32 and have used it a couple of times with no issues. Today I was using it to even up some wood that I had cut for edge banding and the conveyor stopped working. Not sure if I was trying t take too much of a bite. In the past I have had it stop on me and I was able to push a reset button and everything started back up. But today that didn't work and I let it sit for about an hour thinking it may have over heated, but still no change. When I turn on the power, I get a humming noise, but no movement. I admit to not knowing much about motors - any ideas would be appreciated.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
You may have a failed starter capacitor on the induction motor, so that would be the first thing to investigate and rule in/out. If do then it may start up if you (*carefully*) give the motor a turn by hand in the proper direction.

If things don't turn freely, but normally do, then look for anything that may be jamming the works preventing rotation as this would stall the motor as well.

Just do nit leave the motor powered on and stalled for too long or you can burn out the starting winding, so give it a few minutes to cool down between tries.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Ethan, Thanks for the response. I took a closer look and it looked like the belt may have tracked too close to the edge and got jammed. The edge was getting frayed and some small strings were wrapped around one of the rollers. We got that unwrapped and tried to power it back up, but still got the same humming and no movement, so I probably need to look at the motor.

Thanks

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The previous owner of a Ryobi drum sander (same configuration as yours) I owned had a similar problem as this. He ended up changing the belt motor power switch to a toggle switch before he sold it to me. Never gave me a problem. Definitely clean the switch and rheostat before dealing with the motor.

Another potential problem is attaching it to an extension cord. If it's not heavy duty or too long it can restrict current.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Thanks for the previous feedback. I thought I would post an update before I order a new motor and see if there are any other suggestions. I took the motor off the conveyor and had the same results, the motor is getting power and humming, but nothing moves. Took the motor apart and it seemed to be stuck, but then started turning when the gears were removed. So the motor shaft turned when there were no additional gears to turn. The speed control seemed to speed it up, but it did seem to get hot and produce a smell. Closing it back up it would still not turn the gears that move the conveyor. As stated before, I am not vey knowledgeable, but it seems it is time to order a new motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS