Need help with BT3000: Raising Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I am having trouble raising the blade completely on my BT3000. I found this out when trying to remove a dado blade and not being able to raise the blade far enough above the internal dust cover. I had to loosen the screws on the dust cover to get the blade off. With the normal blade installed, I can only raise to about a 2 1/2" cutting depth when it should get to just over 3 1/2".

Any feedback on how to proceed is appreciated.

Greg

Sully

New User
jay
I used to have a BT3100 but it's been a while. IIRC there is a fairly well documented shim problem that leads to binding of the blade raising mechanism. Definitely check out bt3central.com

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Some years ago I had a BT3000 and had this trouble. Where the arbor shaft fits through the lower blade housing there are slide areas along the edges that need to be lubricated. You will have to remove the blade and then loosen the screws in this slide to be able to get the lubrication into the right place. I would also lubricate the gearing. You can remove the slanted sheet metal side covers for easy access to these. I use Johnsons paste wax on a toothbrush. The wax provides excellent lubrication and the surface of it dries, preventing sawdust from sticking to it.

Charley

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The gears is a nice-to-do. The problem is the interface of the shims to the cast aluminum housing. This requires regular maintenance on a Ryobi BT3000 or 3100. I use my 3100 a lot and don't really like doing this maintenance. I have waited until it just wouldn't move once. I thought I had stripped the female gears on the motor housing - which is possible but very unlikely on a 3100, possibly more possible on a 3000 because of a difference in the handwheel design - but it was just the shims were sticking.

I don't know the 3000 as well but what happened on my 3100 is the handwheel was turning on the shaft. The solution is first to lubricate the aluminum the shims slide on and, if you have to, take the handwheel off the get the motor housing piece moving again by using pliers or a wrench on the shaft. Once it moves, with the casting lubricated, it works well. The shims on the 3000 are not the same as the 3100, however, and some people change the 3000 shims to the 3100. That requires some substantial disassembly but is not terribly hard.

BT3central is a great source on these saws but some of the information is a little hard to find because they have archived it. With the saws discontinued there is less demand.

The extra maintenance is a pain but I find my saw to be surprisingly accurate and powerful enough even for full height rips in hardwood (with a sharp and clean blade). I have a mobile base and extension rails on it so I can set the fence to 60 inches. I wrote an article at BT3Central called "Spruce and Sandeply" about my mobile base.

Jim

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it is working now after taking the shims out cleaning and lubricating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS